Building a hearth using a thin air space and wire mesh

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Building a hearth using a thin air space and wire mesh.
I am installing a hearth for a Hearthstone Mansfield and would like to get an R1 rating although the manual is nonspecific about this so I got the R value from their other manuals.

Here is my construction:
R.1 1/4" Fiberrock underlay over 3/4" spruce subfloor with 1/4" ventilation holes to an unheated basement
R.9 1/8" tight knit wire mess giving a air space
Sheet Metal
R.2 1/2" Wonderboard thin set and screwed through the metal into the subfloor
R.1 Slate tile 4' x 4' total area

Are the air holes drilled in the subfloor a good idea?
I have read extensively hear and haven't heard of anyone putting wire mess down to give the air space insulation that Hearthstone lists.
The only draw back I see is the floor may have a little too much flex for the tiles to hold but we will have a 500 lbs stove holding things down with little walking on the tiles?

Thanks for any comments
Geoff John-West Edmonton Canada

Greetings and welcome Geoff. Can you provide a link to more information about the tightknit wire mesh? I'm not familiar with this material.

As for the ventilation holes, this sounds superfluous. I would avoid swiss-cheesing the subfloor if at all possible.

Hello Geoff.

I think you are a very wise man, i admire you greetly.
I think that the air holes drilled in the subfloor is a wonderful idea.

Thank you and God Bless.

BeGreen said:
Greetings and welcome Geoff. Can you provide a link to more information about the tightknit wire mesh? I'm not familiar with this material.

As for the ventilation holes, this sounds superfluous. I would avoid swiss-cheesing the subfloor if at all possible.

The wire mess is scrap 80 year old 3' garden fencing that provides at least 1/8" air space when laid down with 4 square inch air pocks between the wires. I have nailed the wire down with galvinized roofing nails.
(The air holes are between the 1 x 8 subfloor boards so the floor is not weakened)

How old is this Mansfield? The manual for the most recent model (#8011) is surprisingly unclear on requiring any specific R value. But if you want 1.0 min, and your "open air space" only measures 1/8" vertically, you have nowhere near enough air space to count for much R-value. airspace hearths are usually made from steel studs, hat channel, or masonry blocks. They wind up being about 3 or 4" tall minimum as a result.

If there's any flexure to the floor surface before you tile, you're going to have unsatisfying results.

If you can post pix and/or sketches of what you've done (it sounds like you've already built this?) we can offer better advice probably.

I would never want to drill holes in the floor for purposes of added insulation ability. I do not at all understand what you're attempting to gain by doing this.

Good luck and hope to hear more about your setup.

and i now officially think this is one of the most bizarre threads i have ever seen here.

Edthedawg said:
and i now officially think this is one of the most bizarre threads i have ever seen here.

Either that or the best thread of all time!

closing the thread. this is a spoof. all from the same ip address. you win some, and then there are losers out there.The fellow seems to like talking to himself. Maybe he's been out in the wilderness a bit too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.