Building a Mantel around my Jotul Firelight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NCoveney

Sep 19, 2016
Foxborough, MA
Hello,

I recently picked up an older Jotul from Craigslist. I want to build a mantel around the wood stove in order to hide the stove pipe and provide some protection around the wood stove. I am planning on putting a hearth stone on top of the hardwood floor (making sure to protect the floor before doing so. I am planning on using a large panel of slate. Then I want to frame out the mantel and have the wood stove set in the false fireplace.

I understand the clearances I need for the Jotul Firelight, but was wondering if any members have any ideas on this project? I have seen a few methods on various websites, but I feel there must be some good examples from the members of Hearth.com. Any pictures or tips would be most appreciated!

Clearances need to be honored so a false fireplace including the mantel would need to be entirely non-combustible, including the framing if there is any. Do you have the F12 manual?

Status
Not open for further replies.