Building a rack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mroverkill

Feeling the Heat
Aug 10, 2010
Northern nj
overkillauto.com
i am in the process of laying my plans for my rack

A cord is 4' high 8' wide and 4' deep Is that 2 rows deep of wood or 3 rows deep of wood????

looking at building a 6' high one by 16' so im just planing

Mroverkill said:
i am in the process of laying my plans for my rack

A cord is 4' high 8' wide and 4' deep Is that 2 rows deep of wood or 3 rows deep of wood????

looking at building a 6' high one by 16' so im just planing
depends on how long your rounds are. How long are you cutting them for your stove?

A cord of wood is 128 square feet . . . for simplicity sake most folks figure a cord of wood being 4 feet high x 4 feet wide x 8 feet long . . . but in the world I live in most woodstoves don't take 4 foot long sticks of wood so if you're looking to get a cord of wood in your rack you will have to figure as Danno mentioned the length of your wood and figure accordingly.

and another thought. If you have the space to make it longer then you should. Stacks that are single rows and that high will tend to topple over as they shrink. 4ft is a good height, 5 ft isn't bad, but 6ft is pushing it. (not saying it won't work for you, just that risk increases)

ahhhhh i see going to try to stay at 18" length so 2 rows deep it is

So you'll have a cord of wood: every 10.65 feet of double row, or 21.33 feet of single row....

mikefrommaine said:
So you'll have a cord of wood: every 10.65 feet of double row, or 21.33 feet of single row....
yes, if it's 4ft tall. if it's 6ft like he was saying then it should be a tad over 14 ft.

here is my TEMP rack while i build the better one all the wood was under the deck but i cleaned it up and put down 3-4 inches of crushed stone to keep the bugs away

Attachments

• IMAG0116.jpg
    IMAG0116.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 621
  • IMAG0117.jpg
    IMAG0117.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 682
Simple way to look at it.

A cord is measured 128cf. A stack could look like this - 4 feet wide (3 rows of 16" splits), 4 feet high and 8 feet long.

I typically go two rows (16" splits) by 4 ft high and 12 feet long. This is 2.66 ft * 4 ft * 12 ft = 128 cf. It fits better on pallets going two rows.

mayhem said:
firefighterjake said:
A cord of wood is 128 square feet .

Cubic feet...but we all knew what you meant.

Yeah . . . I graduated from Mt. Moo High School . . . I have a problem counting over 9 (the number of fingers I have left over from the hay bailer accident . . . although Cousin Gene was the school's valedictorian since he could count up to 11 thanks to all of the family inbreeding. ;) :) )

Thanks for the correction.

Jake, I hope that taught you to keep your fingers from roaming....

Backwoods Savage said:
Jake, I hope that taught you to keep your fingers from roaming....

Probably shouldn't tell you how I lost two toes in the snowblower accident of '07 then . . . ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.