Perfect Tarp Size For 8' Wood Rack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ilovedougfir

Aug 1, 2021
Monroe WA
Hey team - I am curious what size tarps folks put over their 8' wood racks. I have a run of the mill metal tube rack rack from Amazon that is roughly 4 ft tall, 2 feet wide and 8 feet long. I was thinking 15x8 tarp but love to get your all thoughts.

15X8 is rather large. You don't want the tarp going down to the bottom on the sides, Just enough for a little roof, maybe 1-2ft down each side. For the "storage" piles, I screw the tarps to the splits through fender washers. When It's time to use that pile I remove the screws and just throw bigger splits on top as the pile is depleted.

Side note: tarps suck. 😁

Reactions: ilovedougfir
I have good luck with commercial tarps. I only top cover so only about a foot hangs over each side. Ends are open. I use para cord with masonry bricks hanging to keep the tarps on. When nearing burning season I fold the tarps down further to protect the top layers when I want to use them. A lot of guys say the suck but “to each his own”.