Regency HI500 Catalyst Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tomsstove44

Mar 18, 2024
CT
Hey all,

I have a regency HI500 stove that is about ~8 years old. We live in the NE and burn about 4-5 cord a winter. I'm concerned that the catalyst is not lasting as long as it should. I'm about to order my 2nd replacement, meaning that the cats are lasting ~4 years on average. This last one has a hole directly in the middle about 6" wide. I have a moister meter and I'm confident we are burning dry wood. I wait until temp hits 500 before engaging the catalyst. I think the gasket is in decent shape but was planning to replace this year. Wondering if anyone else may have thoughts why the catalysts are not lasting? Thanks in advance.

Hey all,

I have a regency HI500 stove that is about ~8 years old. We live in the NE and burn about 4-5 cord a winter. I'm concerned that the catalyst is not lasting as long as it should. I'm about to order my 2nd replacement, meaning that the cats are lasting ~4 years on average. This last one has a hole directly in the middle about 6" wide. I have a moister meter and I'm confident we are burning dry wood. I wait until temp hits 500 before engaging the catalyst. I think the gasket is in decent shape but was planning to replace this year. Wondering if anyone else may have thoughts why the catalysts are not lasting? Thanks in advance.
4 years is actually on the longer end of the lifespan for a stove used fulltime