Building a Shed Ramp - Is any slope OK?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Well, The final part of building a shed is the ramp. So I did not want it too long but, it should not slope too steep. So I measured it with a protractor and it looks about 10 to 15 Degrees. Is that common?

Here are more pics of the shed building
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/77731/

See pics below

Pic 1 - ramp frame with weed block under it and 6x6 PT timbers all around. I dug out all the grass, put in 2 - 8"x16"x4" cement blocks under the end frame and still made it at grass level for easy access.

Pic 2 - finished PT boards screwed down with 2-1/2 galvanized deck screws. also covered weed block with 2-3" layer of 3/4" stones.

Attachments

• TRHShed380RampFrameSC.jpg
    TRHShed380RampFrameSC.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 1,434
  • TRHShed390DoneSC.jpg
    TRHShed390DoneSC.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 1,149
That should work well Don.

As long as it's not slippery when wet, and your equipment doesn't hang up on the door sill, you're golden!

Pitch looks good. I used timber tech with a gap in between each board to shed water. P.T. can be icy when it freezes. Looking good.

I don't think you're going to get much air off of that ramp.

fishingpol said:
Pitch looks good. I used timber tech with a gap in between each board to shed water. P.T. can be icy when it freezes. Looking good.

Very good idea fishingpol!!

Don2222 said:
fishingpol said:

Yes, have a similar ramp on my shed. Try to put some slats across the ramp for a little extra traction when its icy/snowy out.

daveswoodhauler said:
Don2222 said:
fishingpol said:

Yes, have a similar ramp on my shed. Try to put some slats across the ramp for a little extra traction when its icy/snowy out.

I do have a small gap between each PT board.

What do you mean by slats?

Is there any non skid material I can slap on there?

I just used some left over pt I had laying around and put it to the table saw. Actually, the small treads was for my feet vs tires, lol.
Just needed a little grip, and used what I had laying around

Left over roof shingles if they are the flat type, not architectural type. Cut into strips and nail down with roof nails.

On my "Summer Shed" ramp I did what FP suggested . . . tacked down some roof shingles for traction. On my "Winter Shed" I didn't put anything since my sled would tear them up with the studs . . . and in the Fall when there are pine needles on top it's slicker than snot in July.

I've thought of using pieces of aluminum laying down, on edge not on the flat side between the ramp boards. Box store sell flat (1/4" thick) by an inch wide or so. Cut to length and lay them into the gaps. It would be a pain to shovel though, but good traction.

I don't know the angle of mine but I do know that it's almost too steep for my tractor with the snowblower. My shed is about 2ft off the ground and the ramp is either 10 or 12 ft long, 8ft wide at the shed and 10 ft wide at the bottom. (leads to a std 8x7 garage door)

I built mine with a pressure treated frame and then hauled in a load of gravel to fill the frame in.

3M makes GripStrip tape that is OK but may need to be replaced every blue moon or so. Check your local HW store or HD/Lowes.

Status
Not open for further replies.