Building platform?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

snaple4

Feeling the Heat
Dec 18, 2017
AR
I'm wanting to build a platform to hold my firewood in a corner. I have the corner down to studs 2x4 on 16ish centers. I don't want to have a post go down to the floor or a rod go to the ceiling on the 4th corner. Would like platform about 17"x40".

Any suggestions on how to frame it?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I suggest you try to draw something up and share it with us. Its hard to visualize what you're describing.

what is on the floor? do you want it open, or are you building walls?

you could do a pony wall and attach it via the platform?

So if i'm understanding, Your stacking your wood inside on a single shelf. It's 17" deep and 40" long. To protect the wall and keep the wood contained, I would build a box with back, sides and top. All the weight will be on the bottom. You will need 45 degree knee bracing on each wall stud. I think 32" wide maybe better.

what is on the floor? do you want it open, or are you building walls?

you could do a pony wall and attach it via the platform?

Would like to keep it open for visual reasons and to maintain access.
Hadn't thought about a pony wall. Won't work in this situation but may for another part of my house.

So if i'm understanding, Your stacking your wood inside on a single shelf. It's 17" deep and 40" long. To protect the wall and keep the wood contained, I would build a box with back, sides and top. All the weight will be on the bottom. You will need 45 degree knee bracing on each wall stud. I think 32" wide maybe better.

I think that is what I will look into. I will try to talk to a metal shop this week on welding some angle iron with a brace...