Bulk Firewood Storage bags for seasoning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

aaronk25

Burning Hunk
Feb 15, 2017
Rochester
So looking for a way to handle the wood less (stacking and unstacking)

What do you guys think of the idea of these bags at a better price poi t say $10 a bag instead of $20.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/232378670459

Split wood and stack inside the bag and then the handling is done by forks on bobcat or tractor directly from seasoning area to garage where it would be ready to burn?

The bags are breathable so if some steel was laid over the top with blocks holding the steel/tin rain shelter on, could I let the wood season in the bags and then fork them into my garage and pick off the top of the pile and work my way down as I burn the wood?

Did I just remove stacking at the main pile, unstacking and then restacking in the garage?

Sure seems easier.....thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, they say 'ventilated' but I'd think drying time in the bags will go way up since air movement is cut to almost nothing, compared to stacking in the wind with a top cover. Now, up in No. MN if you aren't drying a lot Oak, but mostly Aspen and (I forgot what you said your other wood was..Pine?) then the reduced air flow may not hurt you as bad.

Me likely. No bobcat. No forks. No pallets. Not happy long time.

You might read up on "builder's bags" as common vernacular in the UK. 1 cubic meter, I remember seeing a link here to a wood seller in Sterling, Scotland that had basically a big greenhouse filled with builder's bags of wood that went in green and came out seasoned. Forklift involved.

I think the tipping point is around 10-15 cords annual. Under 10, don't bother. Over 15 cords annual, yup, you'll want to drop some dough on re-usable containers to get out of stacking.

ive never seen cheap ibcs. the pallets/bags would be cool if you keep your wood in the garage. but strange to most i keep cars and tools in my garage, dont have room. i keep the wood down in the basement for use, i have a shute. i dont think having those bags would benefit me any. you can get a 3 pt pallet forks pretty cheap/ pallets free, and use any reasonable tractor just as long as the back is rated enough.