Buried in Connecticut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
Just got home yesterday, from our vacation to Florida........out running the winter storm all the way. The folks in South Carolina were all sliding off the roads (snow & ice) from lack of experience and two-wheel drive vehicles, while we tooled along past them. Got home yesterday (Tuesday) in the morning, and all heck broke loose last night and today. Some 20 inches on the ground now, and another 13 inches expected from the same storm, before it's all over.

I have SOME wood in the house, and the piles under the tarps are buried!! Should be interesting to see tonight, as I try and figure out a way to get the tarp off the smaller stack, without getting snow on the wood underneath, that I need to bring in.

Just re-enforces my determination to get a wood shed put in place in the back yard, next summer!!

Any suggestions (other than "carefully") ????????? I'm figuring on getting the broom and brushing off the two feet plus, of snow, off the stack, before attempting to retrieve the wood.

-Soupy1957

Attachments

• Buried Wood Piles.jpg
    Buried Wood Piles.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 678
If it's dry powder, use your leaf blower, otherwise the broom sounds good.

I'll be facing the same dilemma later. This is some wet heavy stuff. The broom was my first thought too. I've got one of those push brooms that has worked in the past. Of course the snow needs somewhere to go so I'll need to shovel around the stack. Welcome back, BTW. Where in Florida were you? My father's got a condo in Sarasota I visit 2x per year. Nice but there's no place like home.

Al

Yup, leaf blower sounds good. Or, dig and clean up around the pile first then cafefully pull back two corners of the tarp dumping the snow behind the pile. I'm going skiing!

i bet you're glad to see your stove again!
as far as the snow on the woodpile tarp, i have the same thing but only it's all winter. what i do is to remove part of the snow from the tarp (only from the area where i will be collecting the wood) after the snow is on the ground, shovel it again to remove it from the side of the woodpile. raise tarp to access wood. when you have gathered the wood you need, let the tarp fall back into place and wait to do it all over again another time. as the snow that you haven't removed from the tarp "settles", it will become more compact and the next time you have to remove it, you will find that it removes in "cakes" or larger chunks and is a bit easier to manage.
no big secret here, right? just takes a little bit of time. (not much).

I used the sweep broom to clean off the stash by the house an hour ago. Did the job. 'Course there's another inch or so on it now :coolsmirk:

Some more photos..........

-Soupy1957

Attachments

• Snow 1.jpg
    Snow 1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 660
more...........

-Soupy1957

Attachments

• Snow 2.jpg
    Snow 2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 643
Two pallets on the ground. An upright pallet on each end braced 45 degrees to the bottom pallets. Two 2x4's across the top. Two pallets spread across the top with a tarp on the top pallets. = my version of a wood shed = no snow shoveling.

stack.jpg

soupy1957 said:
Just got home yesterday, from our vacation to Florida........out running the winter storm all the way. The folks in South Carolina were all sliding off the roads (snow & ice) from lack of experience and two-wheel drive vehicles, while we tooled along past them. Got home yesterday (Tuesday) in the morning, and all heck broke loose last night and today. Some 20 inches on the ground now, and another 13 inches expected from the same storm, before it's all over.

I have SOME wood in the house, and the piles under the tarps are buried!! Should be interesting to see tonight, as I try and figure out a way to get the tarp off the smaller stack, without getting snow on the wood underneath, that I need to bring in.

Just re-enforces my determination to get a wood shed put in place in the back yard, next summer!!

Any suggestions (other than "carefully") ????????? I'm figuring on getting the broom and brushing off the two feet plus, of snow, off the stack, before attempting to retrieve the wood.

-Soupy1957

Yep; same here. Sixteen inches and counting.

Woke around 5am to a spectacular succession of thunder and lightening. Second time this winter I've seen lightening and heard thunder during a snow storm - never seen it before otherwise.

I've got abount a third of a cord in the garage - so I'll be shoveling out to the wood pile this weekend.

I'm STILL "technically" on "Vacation" til Monday..........so.........I'll have time to dig out the wood.

-Soupy1957

Same here soupy its crazy. Hope you had a good vacation!

Soupy, I feel your pain, but we haven't been hit this year with anything like that.......yet.
Have you got a roof rake? Looks like you'll be busy the rest of your vacay cleaning snow.
yooperdave does it the way I used to, until I put up the shed. MAKE the time to do the shed (any iteration will do), and you won't be sorry.
Welcome home.

Us stubborn hearty New Englander's in the Northeast don't know what snow rakes are. Wonder how much I have here, my house looks like Soupy's right now.

Gil: Actually, as a former resident of Maine, "I" do know what a snow rake is. I'm concerned about the weight of the snow on my roof, and told the wife I'm seriously considering getting up there and getting the snow OFF the roof. (to which she ardently disagreed!!).

I also noted the formation of icicles around the bathrooms, (where the roofing meets the Facia Board) due to the fans being put on in the bathrooms, while the vents themselves are buried in the snow; causing the warm air to melt the snow around the vent and creating water, which then dripped down and formed the icicles.

I haven't looked at the chimney for the wood stove yet, but considering the heat from the pipe, have no worries.

-Soupy1957

Random thoughts . . .

Welcome back Soupy . . . good to hear from you again . . . hope you had a good vacation.

Please send the snow north.

Soupy . . . listen to Mrs. Soupy and do not get on the roof to remove the snow . . . do what you know is the safe and sane thing to do to remove the snow . . . get the roof rake . . . and start designing your woodshed for this summer's project.

Ah it's just us southern new englanders who are ignorant to them. I remember shoveling flat roofs as a kid, but always thought the pitch would take care of the issue. My house has a 12/12 roof, so most snow comes down naturally. No ice damming yet.

Jake: You said, "start designing your woodshed for this summer’s project."

that's EASY..........I'll just go to my local Lowe's and buy the biggest bugger they got!! (Considering it'll be almost as big as a barn, ......I may have to get a VARIANCE........lol).

Hmmmmmmmmm...........let's see.........a cord is 4x4x8 and I'll need some room to get in the door.......hmmmmmmmm.....wonder how big the "barn" will actually have to be to hold 3 cords???????

-Soupy1957

Soupy, 8x10x6'-7' high oughta do it for the shed, if that's all you plan to put in it.
If, however, you'd like to use it for other things as well (say, oh maybe a barn dance, or wedding receptions), then GO BIG. :cheese:
Done clearing the snow yet?

soupy1957 said:
Some more photos..........

-Soupy1957

Just think of that snow has free insulation!

zap

soupy1957 said:
Jake: You said, "start designing your woodshed for this summer’s project."

that's EASY..........I'll just go to my local Lowe's and buy the biggest bugger they got!! (Considering it'll be almost as big as a barn, ......I may have to get a VARIANCE........lol).

Hmmmmmmmmm...........let's see.........a cord is 4x4x8 and I'll need some room to get in the door.......hmmmmmmmm.....wonder how big the "barn" will actually have to be to hold 3 cords???????

-Soupy1957

Will those pre-made sheds have strong enough floors to hold up the weight of the wood? Many of the ones I've seen did not seem to have overly rugged floors.

Shari said:
Two pallets on the ground. An upright pallet on each end braced 45 degrees to the bottom pallets. Two 2x4's across the top. Two pallets spread across the top with a tarp on the top pallets. = my version of a wood shed = no snow shoveling.

stack.jpg
Nice, neat and simple!! I like it. My wood is under tarps and we have 14-16 inches so far this morning. I should have gone outside and grabbed a 1/2 cord to put in the basement garage earlier this week. I may have enough for the next 24 hours down there, then I'll deal with it. I have to get outside and clean up though, kids want to go sledding today!

I have a snow rake, they are great to have on hand.

DanCorcoran said:
If it's dry powder, use your leaf blower, otherwise the broom sounds good.
Dan, I've used the leaf blower in the past for the same thing, works great! Also works good to blow the snow off my porches and vehicles. Quick andf clean :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.