buried line loss

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barkeatr

Jan 22, 2011
Upstate NY
On my recent install I put a T gauge on the supply and the return of my Empyre Pro 200. I put them right where the line goes into the water jacket. If all my internal loads are off, wouldnt the temperature difference between the supply and return be my line total line loss?

barkeatr said:
On my recent install I put a T gauge on the supply and the return of my Empyre Pro 200. I put them right where the line goes into the water jacket. If all my internal loads are off, wouldnt the temperature difference between the supply and return be my line total line loss?

Sounds right to me. It's probably worst case since the return would be cooler when there's load.

[edit: I think there would need to be no fire at all or else the temperature leaving the boiler would be constantly climbing, which would screw up the measurement.]

As with swapping ends of a level to test for true, you might want to be sure to swap the gauges and do two runs to remove any bias caused by the gauges by averaging between two runs. And of course you need a reasonable GPM estimate in order to figure heat loss.

--ewd

Status
Not open for further replies.