Burn extension

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustWood

Minister of Fire
Aug 14, 2007
Arrow Bridge,NY
Been outta coal for awhile. Drove a few hours down towards Hogz place Friday for a load.
21.5 ton and this is some of the best Clarion seam coal I've ever burned. As clean as anthracite but more ash. I'm getting 16-20 hour burns out of 20 lbs coal and topped of with wood . It's been 30 days and 10-20 at night.
IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

that's not too bad, Lee. Wonder how that coal would be in a small forge? You said it burns like antricite, does it also have very little smoke?

You burn coal? Reminds me of an oil removal company I used to do work for. The guy owned an apartment building heated with gas, but hauled free oil every day.

Looks like you have it outside in a concrete bin? Do you just grab some with the loader and dump it near the furnace as yo use it? Even clean, doesn't it make a mess?

Dune said:
You burn coal? Reminds me of an oil removal company I used to do work for. The guy owned an apartment building heated with gas, but hauled free oil every day.
LOL :coolsmile: I mix in with wood about 1-1.5 ton/burning season. I sell the rest. It's cheap and prolly close in price to what I pay for unprocessed wood. Also a matter of convenience due to burn times. Days with solar gain and temps no lower than 30 at night I can push 24 hour burn times when the forced draft isn't kicking on frequently.

SolarAndWood said:
Looks like you have it outside in a concrete bin? Do you just grab some with the loader and dump it near the furnace as yo use it? Even clean, doesn't it make a mess?

I shovel it into 5 gallon buckets. Store 4-6 buckets in the furnace room to dry out a little before burning. Dump it into shopping bags or small cardboard boxes and then right into the furnace. Sweep up any spillage with the bark/sawdust and put in next shopping bag/box.
This coal has hardly any dust ,more than likely due to very little handling. They pulled it right out of the seam and into my truck when I was there. Most of the time it's loaded out of a stockpile and has had more handling before it sees my truck box.

My first two tons of the year:

WarmMorning012.jpg

I picked up another 1.5 tons last week. This year I'm paying $100/ton.

I had been burning at night for several years but I've burned more this year due to some health issues last year leading to a shortage of wood. While bit does smoke at reload, after 15-20 minutes it burns without smoke or heavy smells:

coal002-2.jpg

How do you size the coal chunks?

A pole axe and a sledge hammer. The bit I use is "run of mine" so I get huge variance in size as you can see. It breaks easily and cleaves on the seam with very little effort. I use my Dad's coal fork to grade out fines and anything under one inch:

coal008.jpg

I break the big lumps down to the size that fits through the door and use the fork to screen "stove" size or a mix from 1" up to orange/grapefruit size:

WarmMorning029.jpg

Stephen in SoKY said:
A pole axe and a sledge hammer.

Hmmm...I am picturing a new invention. A slide hammer axe (blade). Walk up to chunk, place blade where desired and slide hammer. ***Bonk*** and it is sized up.

Jags said:
***Bonk***

lol, are you going to try and trademark that one too?

Jags said:
Stephen in SoKY said:
A pole axe and a sledge hammer.

Hmmm...I am picturing a new invention. A slide hammer axe (blade). Walk up to chunk, place blade where desired and slide hammer. ***Bonk*** and it is sized up.
Something like that wood actually work well. Coal isn't nearly as hard as stone . The large chunks I have are so fractured that picking one up and dropping on another is all it takes to break apart.

fortunateLEE said:
Something like that wood actually work well.

If I was anywhere near ya, I would whip one up quick for ya, Lee. Scraper blade (or flat steel) welded to a pipe, couple of heavy washers and a slide hammer head (or heavy gauge pipe for the slide) and it would be done. Heck, I have the stuff in my shop to do it right now.

Lee, that reminds me of when I was a child and coal was really cheap. My father used to get one or two ton a year. Some of the neighbors burned wood in the day and all coal at night. I never did like the stuff and preferred wood but had to admit it could hold the fire a long time with good heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.