Burn in smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Idomeneus

Sep 15, 2011
Upstate NY
Hi all. We have our new old intrepid hooked up and ready. I have burned it 3 times now and it stinks everytime. I was expecting the fresh paint to cure the first time but it still stinks. I have had it up to 600 degrees for 4 hours each time . Any advice? How long does it take for this to stop?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Burn the stove on high on a full load. It shouldn't take more than one burn like that.

Each stove is different. The hotter the stove gets the more complete the curing will be. There's really no straight forward answer for how many time or how long it will last. It stops when its done.

How did you keep an Intrepid at 600F for four hours? That's hard to do sometimes with a large stove. :)

What paint did you use and how many coats?

How did you keep an Intrepid at 600F for four hours? That's hard to do sometimes with a large stove. :)

What paint did you use and how many coats?
I bought it painted so I don't know.
It is sure hard to get going but once I do I have no problem with the temp.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk