Burn pot issue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richtb2

Jan 20, 2016
Souderton, PA.
I have the Summers Heat (Englander) Smart Stove since last year and love it. Only thing I am unsure of is the burn pot. I do have the newer design for this stove (there was a recall last year), but it developed a crack in the bottom and I only used the stove from January through April. Englander was awesome and replaced it for me under warranty, but I've only been using the new pot for less than 6 weeks and already see where this is going to happen again. As you can see in the pictures, the same wear pattern is developing. Burning a softwood douglas fir pellet this year that leaves almost no ash in the burn pot so not quite sure why this is happening. Emailed Mike at Englander last week but with the holiday haven't heard back, just wondering if any of you have seen this before or if this is normal. Not sure if replacing the burn pot each season is normal or not.

Attachments

• Burn pot issue?
    ORIGINAL.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 191
  • Burn pot issue?
    REPLACEMENT.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 153
Definitely not normal to replace pots every year.I kind of remember a post last year about the same thing happening on another Englander stove believe it may have been on the PAH.

Looks to me like they maybe need to beef that thing up a little bit and/or use a different steel alloy. DFs do burn hot though but still. I wouldn't call it " normal" to burning out a pot grate each year. Course everyone's idea of normal is relative. You will just have to see what Mike has to say about it.

Are you running in the manual or auto on and off mode ?

Did a search but that thread never came up, thanks! Just read through the whole thing, looks like I might need to find a fabricator to build me one out of better material. If I hear back from Englander I will update.
do have the original burnpot yet

I would get that one beefed up so you can continue to use the stove, to bad your not a little closer or I would cut the bottom out and weld a heavier piece in for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.