Burn report: Okanagan vs NEWP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gweeper64

Hearth Supporter
Feb 25, 2009
Central MA
Hi folks,

Well, I'm into my 6th bag of the Okanagans so I thought it was time to give a comparison report vs the NEWP hardwood (tan bag, red lettering from the Jaffrey plant I believe). I burned the NEWP last winter/spring and finished up this fall. This is purely "seat of the pants" as I have not taken measurements of any kind.

My stove: Mt Vernon AE insert

My impressions: Okanagans are definitely better. I noticed right away how much hotter they burned. Softwood vs hardwood I guess. The Okis pellet size is much more consistent than the NEWP I had. Also, the Okis have virtually zero fines. The NEWP always had a tiny bit in the bottom of the bag, though not so much that it was a problem at all. There seems to be a bit less ash in the ash pan after the first cleaning after the switch over. There was slightly less ash in the firebox as well. Neither have produced any substantial clinkers to speak of in the burn pot, none that have stuck to the side anyway. So there isn't any difference to speak of in that respect.

So, so far I have to give the nod to the Okanagans but the NEWP hardwoods still compare pretty favorably. I know some people like to "buy local" so if you are here in MA/NH/VT/CT/NY, the NEWP would fit that bill for you.

Hope this helps....

I bought 4 tons of Okies this year based on reviews from this site. Last year I went through 3.5 tons of Spruce Pointe softwood pellets and thought they were great. I would give the edge to the Okies with regard to the amount of fines (virtually none) and pellet uniformity. However, I have found that I get significantly more clinkers that stick to the side of the burn pot in my Harman Accentra insert. I bought 10 bags of the NEWP in September to hold me over until I recieved my Okies, and they produced considerably fewer clinkers. Granted, I have been runnning my stove on low settings which generally does create more clinkers, but I still had far less with the NEWP ans less with the Spruce Pointe. Overall, I am very happy with the Okies and the heat that they throw, but I would prefer fewer clinkers.

So, are ya gonna find somebody to sell them here? How about EBS in Bucksport?????????? Or am I (once again) DOOOOOMED???????????

I'm reasonably sure that burning at a higher temp will help with the clinker issue. My neighbor burning Okies as well in his Quad has noted a bit more clinkers as well. Agian, this is at lower burn rates. Please note that I am not complaining about the Okies. Like I said, the heat seems to be superior, but clinkers are clinkers and I'm not sure there is a pellet available that would be clinker-free under all conditions. That said, you sell them and it's in your best interest to point out the reasons why you feel they are superior (and, so far I don't nessacarily disagree) to other brands. This forum is about users sharing their own experiences with products/services/professionals etc....my post was about my experience thus far and I will update it as the season continues and the temps drop.

Man I love the smell of my dragons. I might hang them from my rear view mirror like the pine tree air freshner.

i like my newp they dont have to brag how good they are . ill do it for them

BTU said:
What I think we all need is for Mother Nature to bring on about 15 degrees cooler weather .....

Uh, NO, we don't!! :mad: Just teasing ya BTU.....but if that statement above isn't a saleman talking, I don't know what is!! :lol:

Personally, I'm very happy with 50 degrees during the day, and 42 at night right now. January will be here soon enough., and the more pellets/oil I don't have to burn now, the better.

I only have room for 2 ton in my garage and I use 3 so I'll be looking for another ton around Feb or March. Who sells the Okies in Southern NH? I might give them a try.

BTU said:
.....you aren't a pellet salesman either (well not officially anyways)...... :)

Hey, BTU, I'm now officially retired from teaching, and have a big 3 car garage w/ 11' doors....maybe I can start selling Okies from home....I can be VERY persuasive!! I'd even nstall a pellet stove in the garage to show how great they burn to customers. :cheese:

EDIT: I even have a double wide driveway so the tractor trailer can back down.

Attachments

• Garage.jpg
    Garage.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 485
BTU, who is your dealer in the North Central Connecticut area? I would like to buy a couple of bags to try in my stove.

BTU said:
PERFECT...now all you need is some working capital, a business license, Fed Tax ID number, a pallet jack and some kind of vehicle to deliver them and you are in business... Since I have no dealers in your neck of the woods, I would love to have you as a supplier over there............ :cheese:

PS... Looks like you could get about 150 ton in there...easy

I think I still have a business license from a start-up i tried some years ago, and have the fed. ID # too (I think). Pallet jack i could get, but i'm going for the "cash & carry" business (hand me the cash, and you carry...LOL).

Now, for the "start-up capital", I figured I'd get a loan from my favorite pellet supplier....other wise known as a IOU??????? ;-)

warmncozy said:
I only have room for 2 ton in my garage and I use 3 so I'll be looking for another ton around Feb or March. Who sells the Okies in Southern NH? I might give them a try.

Ciardelli Fuels in Milford has plenty...or, they at leats had plenty about a month ago.

BTU said:
....but you might try Inferno, they may give you stock and take your IOU... ;-P

HEY! I said I wanted to go into business, not go into bankruptcy! I'd be too afraid of customers sending me stove repair/cleaning bills after about a month.... %-P

jtakeman said:
Marbleguy said:
BTU, who is your dealer in the North Central Connecticut area? I would like to buy a couple of bags to try in my stove.

http://www.cjspellets.com/Home/Locations

Thanks, I know just where they are. If you look at the pic, you will see Mustangs Unlimited at the top. My son worked there for 7 years. They, however are no longer located there, they moved up the road about a mile or so.

BTU said:
macman said:
BTU said:

Hey, BTU, I'm now officially retired from teaching, and have a big 3 car garage w/ 11' doors....maybe I can start selling Okies from home....I can be VERY persuasive!! I'd even nstall a pellet stove in the garage to show how great they burn to customers. :cheese:

PERFECT...now all you need is some working capital, a business license, Fed Tax ID number, a pallet jack and some kind of vehicle to deliver them and you are in business... Since I have no dealers in your neck of the woods, I would love to have you as a supplier over there............ :cheese:

BTU, what is the average margin for dealers in the Northeast?

NH Pellet Head said:
BTU said:
macman said:
BTU said:

Oh I would say like 200%! :lol: Just kidding. But some days it seems like it. I think its save to say in the 40 to 50% range. Think of all the overhead and expenses. Some maybe more.

jtakeman said:
NH Pellet Head said:
BTU said:
macman said:
BTU said:

Oh I would say like 200%! :lol: Just kidding. But some days it seems like it. I think its save to say in the 40 to 50% range. Think of all the overhead and expenses. Some maybe more.

I was going to guess somewhere in the 20-25% range.

NH Pellet Head said:
jtakeman said:
NH Pellet Head said:
BTU said:
macman said:
BTU" date="1259642496 said:

I was going to guess somewhere in the 20-25% range.

Big box maybe that low. Strictly pellet house's. 40-50% Stove shops might get more. There not trying to move large numbers just keep there stove buyers supplied. This is only hear say. I really don't know. Guest a guess. There has to be money in it or they would be selling something else.

BTU said:
I'm not aware of anyone marking up their product even close to that right now...even 20-25% is on the high side in most markets currently......
Aw shucks....and here I was thinkin I would be a pellet selling millionaire within the first year..... :-/

I'll chime in here about the O's vs. everything else I have ever burned. So far I have only burned about 5 or 6 bags - but I like them. With this warm weather I am only burning overnight and at a low setting. I have never seen such a light colored pellet and I like the smell. The pellets seem a bit on the small side compared to most - and I get a bunch that fall through the burn plate, but I clean that out daily so no big deal. Not much dust or fines. I have shot the middle of the burn plate with an IR heat gun and get about 390 degrees on a low setting. I don't keep detailed records but I believe that 390 is about 40 or 50 degrees higher than I have registered with other pellets. So I believe they do burn a bit hotter.

My only complaint is probably a West coast hippie - save the earth thing - that I shouldn't complaint about, but... The bags seem thinner than others and I have ripped 2 of the 6 or so I've brought in the house just by picking them up. You've got to be gentle handling the bags or you'll find yourself trying some awkward carrying techniques. Or sweeping up pellets.

All in all I like them. I'll wait for some real cold to hit and see how they do but so far I think they'll do well.

hossthehermit said:
So, are ya gonna find somebody to sell them here? How about EBS in Bucksport?????????? Or am I (once again) DOOOOOMED???????????

we sell them in augusta.... take the drive up, they are always in stock (thx, BTU!!!)

macman said:
BTU said:
What I think we all need is for Mother Nature to bring on about 15 degrees cooler weather .....

Uh, NO, we don't!! :mad: Just teasing ya BTU.....but if that statement above isn't a saleman talking, I don't know what is!! :lol:

Personally, I'm very happy with 50 degrees during the day, and 42 at night right now. January will be here soon enough., and the more pellets/oil I don't have to burn now, the better.

I'm with you, macman, I've already burned more than I want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.