Burn Time Learn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 17, 2011
central Texas
My Jotul Castine f400 is burning wood faster than I expected. Perhaps the wood I am using is too small, but with the draft control nearly closed I can only get about two hours out of the thing. Admittedly, it is not packed to the gills like you can get away with in more northern climates. I noticed the hickory I tossed in it last night burned longer than the post oak.

This is a small stove compared to the Hearthstone, Blaze Kings, and Oslo I see on here, but to lengthen out a burn cycle for the nighttime should I go with the big uglies rather than smaller split wood?

Still learning the intricacies of this stove. I have figured out, however that the secondary burn and the ghost flames really got going when the breather control was down around 10% open.

Many castine owners have reported that they basically need to run the stove in the closed air position. These are a small stove and they run hot. You are right that bigger uglies may help you extend burn time. Some experimenting w/ loading and positioning the hot coals in the stove will help also.

pen

Rake the coals forward and stick a big ugly down in back then fill in from there. This is how I get the longest burns in my little stove.

I use 3 or 4 splits ( lagrest ) that I can fit iinto the stove with a good bed of coals. Wait half hour for the stove to get up too 500* then reduce air intake to 50% . After all wood is charged I'll cut air down to 25% open. If you have good hard wood for the rear of stove split (largest in rear) you should have embers after 8 hours . Keep working at it you"ll get it.

G6 at Snook said:
My Jotul Castine f400 is burning wood faster than I expected. Perhaps the wood I am using is too small, but with the draft control nearly closed I can only get about two hours out of the thing. Admittedly, it is not packed to the gills like you can get away with in more northern climates. I noticed the hickory I tossed in it last night burned longer than the post oak.

This is a small stove compared to the Hearthstone, Blaze Kings, and Oslo I see on here, but to lengthen out a burn cycle for the nighttime should I go with the big uglies rather than smaller split wood?

Still learning the intricacies of this stove. I have figured out, however that the secondary burn and the ghost flames really got going when the breather control was down around 10% open.

For the longest burns, use large splits, stacked tightly, with smaller splits filling the gaps. With our setup, I had the air control set about the same as you when the weather was mild. As it got colder I could close it all the way. In cold weather (20's and below) with a hot stove and a moderate coal bed, I could turn down the air control 50-75% within 5 minutes, wait about 10 more, then close it all the way.

adrpga498 said:
I use 3 or 4 splits ( lagrest ) that I can fit iinto the stove with a good bed of coals. Wait half hour for the stove to get up too 500* then reduce air intake to 50% . After all wood is charged I'll cut air down to 25% open. If you have good hard wood for the rear of stove split (largest in rear) you should have embers after 8 hours . Keep working at it you"ll get it.

Half an hour? OMG, if I let my Regency go half an hour wide open with a full load, I'd be in the smelting business.

Burning some dry poplar this fall and I've already had about 4 occasions were the fire quickly got up past 900 (think I burnt my new paint job - no longer shiny and it dusts off easily on my fingers). The open the door trick does work to cool things down quickly.

When manipulating the draft control, what should I reasonably expect to happen when I go from 1/4 open to nearly shut? How much of a temperature bump should I expect? I don't want to get it up to 550 then start to close off and end up at 700 with it shut.

babzog said:
adrpga498 said:

Half an hour? OMG, if I let my Regency go half an hour wide open with a full load, I'd be in the smelting business.

Burning some dry poplar this fall and I've already had about 4 occasions were the fire quickly got up past 900 (think I burnt my new paint job - no longer shiny and it dusts off easily on my fingers). The open the door trick does work to cool things down quickly.

Me too; I typically load a 1/3 load or 1/2 load, let it loose for no more than twenty minutes at most and then go to 1/2 open air. I cannot imagine cramming the thing full and letting it loose with air all open for a full thirty minutes! YIKES. I don't even think (although I haven't tried this yet) loading a full load and letting it loose for twenty minutes would work well. My extremely limited experience is the Regencys tend to really run hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.