Burn tubes missing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

enginetech88

Mar 21, 2012
I have been searching on this forum for awhile but this is my first post. I recently bought a house and there is an Avalon Olympic installed in the living room. I just noticed that two of the front burn tubes were missing. Is there any reason someone would burn without them? I found them laying behind the stove and they both look like they are in good shape. I will be on this forum much more now that I have 3 wood stove inserts and a wood furnace to feed. Please bear with me, but trust me that I appreciate everyone's help. Especially during this first season of wood burning training.

Josh

Welcome Josh. Hard to say why they are out of the stove, but they definitely should be put back in. The stove will run poorly without them. Perhaps they were taken out for cleaning or baffle removal? Is the baffle still in the stove and in good condition?

The brick baffles and the supports are all there. I have the fire going now without them in but I will be sure to put them in as soon as I get the oppourtunity. Some of the supports look pretty rough so I will be replacing them along with some cracked fire brick too. Thanks!

The tubes get pinned in place with roller pins. Once they are back in, it will certainly burn quite differently and should put out a lot more heat. You'll think you have a whole new stove.

Maybe the previous owner liked sticking one more split in the stove... You'll like it much better with them in.

Matt

Welcome.

I would also put them back in the stove you will notice a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.