Burning aluminum cans...?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
firebroad said:
Cause they dont have a MM BWS. :cheese:[/quote]
Okay, and that is shorthand for...?[/quote] Moisture Meter, kind of a running joke between backwoods and me.

Stump_Branch said:
Does the empty can have to be stacked outside in the wind for a year? Got a case im going to have to split up.

Yes, one should not burn green cans. ;-)

Adios Pantalones said:
bluedogz said:
I think that might be a bit like chewing up some flour and water and thinking you made bread without baking.

I find myself looking for something like this to tell people with chemistry questions (like the copper pipe Q) and you just killed it. Excellent.

I usually make chili references

I actually do this for a living... trust a professional.

tfdchief said:
Burning wood makes creosote, more or less.
If done correctly you will have very little to speak of as many members have reported in this forum, bad burning practices is where the the problem comes from.

oldspark said:
tfdchief said:
If done correctly you will have very little to speak of as many members have reported in this forum, bad burning practices is where the the problem comes from.
That's what I said, "more or less".

tfdchief said:
oldspark said:
tfdchief said:
That's what I said. :)

oldspark said:
heatxchanger said:
As far as I could determine, Aluminum releases 13000 Btu's per pound when burned.

Remember the solid rocket booster on either side of the space shuttle when it takes off? The oxidizer in these things is ammonium perchlorate and the main fuel is powdered aluminum.

The same goes for firecrackers of all sizes - potassium perchlorate oxidizer and powdered aluminum fuel.

As soon as pure Aluminum is exposed to air it "burns" ever so slightly on the surface to form a very tough clear aluminum oxide skin which cuts off the air to prevent further burning. However, if you get the aluminum hot enough like when you throw a beer can in a hot fire you can defeat this skin and the rest of the can will burn.
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, you have just told them how to make flash powder.

You both will be getting a visit from Homeland Security. Pack a bag, the accomodations at Gitmo leave much to be desired. Don't bother calling your attorney.

oldspark said:
tfdchief said:
oldspark said:
tfdchief said:
That's what I said. :)
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.