Burning Boxelder

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I wanted to mention, in this thread, one good use for a wood like boxelder. If you burn 24/7 or something close to that... or if you only use wood to supplement a furnace, or if you use your furnace to supplement your burning of wood, this does not apply.

If you arrive at your home, camp, shed... whatever it might be, and it is cold in there, really cold... a wood like boxelder can be your friend. You can burn HOT, and keep it hot for as long as you can shove splits in the stove. I am not talking about over-firing (you could do that if you want to), I am talking about maintaining the maximum safe and reasonable BTU output without building up a giant pile of coals.

At my camp, I can have all the sugar maple I need. The property is mostly sugar maple and hop hornbeam. My wood pile is 2/3 popple (quaking aspen). Why would I do that? Popple makes box elder look like cherry.

If I have nothing but good truly hard wood in my wood pile and I try to get this place warmed up fast, I will end up with a giant pile of coals before I get it warmed up. Coals are great! I love them, at home, or after the camp has warmed up. While I am trying to get this place warmed up, I like something that turns to dust rather than coals.

20231221_222903.jpg

Reactions: River
Yeah soft/lesser hardwoods have their use. For me personally I find I have the best results when 80% of my wood pile is oak/maple and then a mix of other woods for shoulder season and to ignite the oak.

Reactions: all night moe