burning charcoal briquettes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sapratt

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
May 14, 2008
Northwestern, Oh
A couple of years ago I bought two bags charcoal briquettes. It made the food taste like crap so I have used
them. Instead of letting them go to waste I was wondering if I could burn them in the wood stove?
Good idea or bad idea?

i've tried that when i was a kid in our old jotul knock off stove. didn't burn very good. i would try a few and see what happens. but if you have a cat stove i would not put it in cat mode.

Charcoal is not meant to be used indoors at all. There is a very real danger of CO poisoning. That said, don't most modern EPA stoves essentially turn the wood into charcoal before it burns?

It should not harm the stove or air at all. Just add some with each load and you'll do fine. That is better than just throwing them out.

Use it up, wear it out
Make it do or do without.

fraxinus said:
Charcoal is not meant to be used indoors at all. There is a very real danger of CO poisoning. That said, don't most modern EPA stoves essentially turn the wood into charcoal before it burns?
I don't think charcoal makes any more CO than the coals that you get in your firebox from a hardwood fire. It's the charcoal appliances, like barbecue grills, that make it a CO hazard indoors, since they're not vented to the outdoors.

Are they actually made from charcoal as in wood or compressed coal dust. The Matchlight and Kingsford type stuff you buy in the store mostly coal. So, it could possibly corrode your stove and flue.

Status
Not open for further replies.