Burning Charcoal logs is very good indeed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guest5234

Hearth Supporter
Made a load of charcoal for my barbecue last night in my 55 gallon drum, put in some large splits as an experiment for using in my Jotul stove, they came out very well and the heat and time they lasted was excellent...plus...no smoke just hot hot heat.

They do burn cleanly, but so does your nice Jotul. The wood to make the charcoal smoked, just outdoors in the burn barrel. By burning real wood in the Jotul you will get the benefit of burning off the wood gases much more cleanly and a lot more heat in the house instead of outdoors as they burn off.

BeGreen said:
They do burn cleanly, but so does your nice Jotul. The wood to make the charcoal smoked, just outdoors in the burn barrel. By burning real wood in the Jotul you will get the benefit of burning off the wood gases much more cleanly and a lot more heat in the house instead of outdoors as they burn off.

Yep I agree, was just an experiment i will not bother repeating.

Sounds like you have a nice stash of charcoal for the BBQ though.

Don't know how you can run those smoke monster BBQs. I use propane. I'm in the house eating my steak supper before your charcoal is even warm :)

My grilling math: propane + "before charcoal is even warm" = why not Burger King

NATE379 said:
Don't know how you can run those smoke monster BBQs. I use propane. I'm in the house eating my steak supper before your charcoal is even warm :)

Nate: I have a quite large and fancy propane grill that I use. It is a 75,000 btu unit. It will ROCK. Takes ~10 min to hit 500F. My charcoal grill, when using a charcoal chimney starter requires about 20 min. to hit that temp. For 10 minutes extra, my steak is gonna see real wood. The flavor CANNOT be matched on gas, even running with wood chips on the gas.

Don't get me wrong, I love my propane unit, and use it often, but it simply will not turn out the steak that the wood fire will.

And for the record - I am a certified food whore.

Status
Not open for further replies.