Burn habits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wildflush

Minister of Fire
Dec 27, 2022
MA
This is mainly for the non cat folks.

My typical stove use starts with a quick hot top down fire with a target STT of 600. I wait for that load to bring down STT to 250-300 than rake coals forward and reload. Rinse and repeat.

A few weeks back we had a very cold night here and instead of waiting for stove to get to 250 since I wanted to go to bed I tried something new and added two large splits of oak on coals with a 500 STT. Turned air down after a few minutes and STT slowly climbed back to 600 cruising without a nuke effect. I know the best way is to let STT drop and reload but are there others that load mid cycle at times?

Must add I would not do this with small splits.

Reactions: thewoodlands
I do all the time. I also shut the air right down to half. I’m also loading 2-3 splits at a time throughout the day if I’m home since I like tending the fire. If I’m doing a full load I will let it burn down more to just coals and then load it full to avoid a rapid off gas with a lot of wood. With just 2-3 splits the rapid off gas allows me to shut it right down within 5 minutes or less

This is mainly for the non cat folks.

My typical stove use starts with a quick hot top down fire with a target STT of 600. I wait for that load to bring down STT to 250-300 than rake coals forward and reload. Rinse and repeat.

A few weeks back we had a very cold night here and instead of waiting for stove to get to 250 since I wanted to go to bed I tried something new and added two large splits of oak on coals with a 500 STT. Turned air down after a few minutes and STT slowly climbed back to 600 cruising without a nuke effect. I know the best way is to let STT drop and reload but are there others that load mid cycle at times?

Must add I would not do this with small splits.
I usually do it on my overnight loads too but usually between 350 to 400 STT. We don't burn the pellet stove overnight this year so if I get caught with a good load of coals in the wood stove for the overnight load and my STT is above 500, I'll just burn a smaller load of beech.

With my stove, if I reload with a couple of big oak or hickory splits when the stove is good and hot, it is controllable and that is a good way to keep BTUs up while building a big pile of coals to burn through the night. I can really only do that on the weekends. I work days during the week.

With my stove, if I reload with a couple of big oak or hickory splits when the stove is good and hot, it is controllable and that is a good way to keep BTUs up while building a big pile of coals to burn through the night. I can really only do that on the weekends. I work days during the week.
So what kinda stoves do y’all have? And so what y’all are saying is” the only time you load full is at night?

Reactions: Bobbob
I don't reload unless SST at 350 or less. Anything hotter and I'll have SST at 700 unless we have warmer outside temps. I have a buck 81 in my basememt inside a masonry fireplace with a 24 ft liner. Always have a good draft unless warmer outside temps and my dryer is running (also in basememt). Refills consist of a full 5 gallon bucket of wood...usually 5 splits

Reactions: Wildflush
many times I will burn my VC and not engage the cat. I can reload on a hot load of coals and cut the air back and STT is controlled easily. My wife doesn't engage the cat and will keep the stove burning all day if I'm gone, usually with partial loads. All of my splits are smaller, easier to handle.

I have a controllable noncat in a space that can’t be overheated so I reload whenever there is room for more fuel if it’s especially cold or aloe more complete cycles if it’s warmer. If your noncat is running away on you then you should consider a key damper.

So what kinda stoves do y’all have? And so what y’all are saying is” the only time you load full is at night?
I have a Pacific Energy Summit LE. I get up a couple of hours early in the morning and make a full load fire. That gives it time to get to steady state before we leave for work. Then my wife or I will make a full load fire again after we get home from work. That is about 12 to 14 hours after I started it in the morning.

If I plan to be home all day on a weekend day sometimes I will feed a couple of big splits at a time to keep it running hot all day. If we have some that are a bit too long to load N/S, I can get rid of them this way by putting a couple in at an angle.

We have a pipe damper to help control our draft when needed.

I do full loads. Milder temps today. I threw 4 pieces in when I left for work. Won't be home till 6ish. If the house is to cold I'll burn 4 or 5 pieces then load it up for bedtime. Generally my routine. My wife works from home sometimes and she'll throw in 3 or 4 splits during the day. Sometimes it's not needed if I fill it up tight before leaving in the morning. I have a insert and I check the temp right above the door on the front of the stove. Generally I like to go to bed with it around 450. Usually that's shutting the air down 90%. Same when I leave for work.