Vista LE burning characteristics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wildflush

Minister of Fire
Dec 27, 2022
MA
2nd year with the Vista and learned many things along the way regarding running an EPA stove. Got my top down starts to the point I can pinpoint close to cruising STT shutting air down in increments and reading the fire. Setting a timer if I’m distracted is also helpful. I find starting my cold start with two medium E/W splits on N/S sleepers of construction cutoffs with smaller splits placed diagonally on top and a pinecone with sticks from the yard lead to a successful fire.

Learned if I stack many splits E/W raking coals to the front it generates a slower cigar type burn which is longer burning but slower getting up to temp. Have to keep air open more. I see cruising temps around 550 doing this. If I put 3 splits E/W on a reload with a couple chunks N/S I getting a hotter fire around 650 because of the air gaps and exposed surface area of the wood.

I also learned what NOT to do when I had two splits placed apart E/W on a hot reload with 4x 12% oak chunks N/S that took off with a STT of 750 and climbing.

I load tighter now or use less fuel. Also reloads are mostly at a STT of 250-300.

Also learned this will heat a well insulated home well. Burn times for me are in the 4-5 hour area and I’m sure if I load it more closer to 6. Overall happy with the investment.

Last note; I found PE customer service very helpful. Also a shout out to ICC/Excel when I left a message and got a call back from Quebec. Both top notch companies.

Edit: thank you to all those that helped me with advice on this Forum.

Last edited: