Burning coal in my Seton

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparke

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2006
Maine
Well as most of you know, I have a refractory mass boiler, not exactly a Seton. However, this may work in Seton's, Greenwood's, Adobe's, Greenfire's, etc... I have read on these forums about this trick , but never in a refractory mass boiler. I had the opportunity to get 4 tons of Anthracite Coal for free. Of course I jumped at it. In today's market the coal is worth $1,000 to $1,200.

I felt confident my Greenfire boiler would burn coal fairly well with a few adaptations. Especially since Greenfire's (the first ones made) have a bottom grate with combustion air feeding the fire from underneath the coal bed. My plan eventually was to make homemade shaker grates and set them higher then the inlets in the refractory. After experimenting for a few weeks, I don't think I am going to bother with new grates.

I simply throw about 20 to 30lbs of coal on top of the firewood when reloading. The coal extends burn times. The objective here is not to depend on the coal for main source of BTU's , rather to lengthen burn times and use 25-35% less wood per day. Also, the added benefit of having live coals to reignite a new fire 12-16 hours later is a most welcome bonus!

I am still entertaining the thought of making shaker grates, installing them on a refractory base so the grates are positioned above the combustion air ports in the refractory. This would allow all the combustion air to originate under the coal bed. If this is attempted, a barometric damper should also be installed on the stove pipe. I do not think I will try this experiment since things are working nicely as they are. The coal is burning thoroughly enough so emptying ashes is still accomplished through use of the ash pan.

I'd like to stumble upon a couple of ton too. Been throwin' around the same idea for my Eco-----throw a couple of pounds on top of the fire---I know it's been bounced around here for the gassers a few times. Only coal available locally I know of is 40 LB bagged, but that is ideal for experimentation w/o a big $ investment. Get the Greenfire ready for the temps to plummet tomorrow!!

sparke said:
Well as most of you know, I have a refractory mass boiler, not exactly a Seton. However, this may work in Seton's, Greenwood's, Adobe's, Greenfire's, etc... I have read on these forums about this trick , but never in a refractory mass boiler. I had the opportunity to get 4 tons of Anthracite Coal for free. Of course I jumped at it. In today's market the coal is worth $1,000 to $1,200.

I felt confident my Greenfire boiler would burn coal fairly well with a few adaptations. Especially since Greenfire's (the first ones made) have a bottom grate with combustion air feeding the fire from underneath the coal bed. My plan eventually was to make homemade shaker grates and set them higher then the inlets in the refractory. After experimenting for a few weeks, I don't think I am going to bother with new grates.

I simply throw about 20 to 30lbs of coal on top of the firewood when reloading. The coal extends burn times. The objective here is not to depend on the coal for main source of BTU's , rather to lengthen burn times and use 25-35% less wood per day. Also, the added benefit of having live coals to reignite a new fire 12-16 hours later is a most welcome bonus!

I am still entertaining the thought of making shaker grates, installing them on a refractory base so the grates are positioned above the combustion air ports in the refractory. This would allow all the combustion air to originate under the coal bed. If this is attempted, a barometric damper should also be installed on the stove pipe. I do not think I will try this experiment since things are working nicely as they are. The coal is burning thoroughly enough so emptying ashes is still accomplished through use of the ash pan.
If you just want to burn anthracite you will need the shaker grate as mentioned & this needs to be under a straight sided burn chamber, not a V grate. I needed to give up on burning just anthracite in my Energy Mate boiler as the coal bed would just die out because of the V shaped chamber. Randy

Look at the grates on a Harman SF-260 they are made to burn coal. I burn wood in mine but i think it makes a better coal burner then a wood burner.

I am thinking about playing with some coal from time to time to clean out the creosote

I have V chamber and non shaker grates in my furnace. Mixing coal with wood is the key and centering the coal so it doesn't bridge. I load my furnace to the door sill then a split on each side above door sill. I use grocery sacks with about 10-25 lbs of coal dead center in the firebox between the splits. It will fuse together during the burn and shrink in size as the wood is burned out from under it. In the morning I run my ash scraper underneath the fused coal to get the ash to go through the grate and add 2-3 splits. This loading will usually get me till 2-3PM. There is a learning curve with coal but once you figure it out it's a great fuel.
I've tried the anthracite and it doesn't work for me. My stove is usually out by 8 am. Bituminous has given me the best results and longest burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.