Burning coal in my Yukon furnace ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bbauer161

Jun 27, 2015
Joppa, MD
Curious if anyone has any experience burning coal in their Yukon furnace?

My main question is how to best regulate air intake given that the main air intake is controlled by my thermostat. Do you get the coal started w/ the air vent from the thermostat open and then once you get it going really good, close the air damper from the thermostat and control it using the upper air chambers?

Any suggestions? I've never burned coal in it before and just bought a few bags from Tractor Supply to give it a try.

I'm a newbie when it comes to coal.

Thanks,
Bryce

Curious if anyone has any experience burning coal in their Yukon furnace?

My main question is how to best regulate air intake given that the main air intake is controlled by my thermostat. Do you get the coal started w/ the air vent from the thermostat open and then once you get it going really good, close the air damper from the thermostat and control it using the upper air chambers?

Any suggestions? I've never burned coal in it before and just bought a few bags from Tractor Supply to give it a try.

I'm a newbie when it comes to coal.

Thanks,
Bryce
IIRC, people that burn coal very much in the Yukons drilled (3) 1/4" holes in the ash drawer and then used 3 magnets that can be slid over the hole(s) to regulate.
If you go on their website, go to the menu on the left, on the bottom click the "forum"...I think there is a coal burners section that talks about this...pretty sure that's where I seen it