burning corn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdempsey

Feeling the Heat
Aug 21, 2011
kentucky
Picked up 4 bags of
Deer corn at tsc for $3.50 a bag. Some kinda special they had.so all i need to do is change my stoves setting for use with corn?g Anything else?

jdempsey said:
Picked up 4 bags of
Deer corn at tsc for $3.50 a bag. Some kinda special they had.so all i need to do is change my stoves setting for use with corn?g Anything else?

Englander specifically states to NOT burn deer corn (P. 9 in your owners manual). It may contain molasses and/or sugar, and will cause problems in the stove. Don't take a chance on voiding your warranty...feed that corn to the deer.

imacman said:
jdempsey said:
Picked up 4 bags of

Englander specifically states to NOT burn deer corn (P. 9 in your owners manual). It may contain molasses and/or sugar, and will cause problems in the stove. Don't take a chance on voiding your warranty...feed that corn to the deer.

I always wondered why they stated no deer corn. I learned something new. So its not the corn its what they add or coat the corn with. What about field corn?

I have burned feed corn purchased from Blue Seal and some from a local farmer that grows strickly for stove use. Price pretty high right now compared to pellets though.

j-takeman said:
.....What about field corn?...

AFAIK, "field corn" and "feed corn" are the same thing. As long as the corn is whole kernals, has no coatings or pesticides added (seed corn), and is dried to around 11-14%, it should be good to go.

Aside from what I mentioned before about "deer corn", this is what Englander has to say about burning corn in their stoves:

"The Pellet/Corn/Multi-fuel stove is tested for operation with corn with 14% or less moisture content; it is recommended that corn with 11-12% moisture be used for most efficient operation of this unit. Corn with over 12% moisture has a lower BTU value and will be hard to burn on the lower settings.

• Corn must be clean and free from debris; never burn corn straight from the field. Stalk parts, excessive fines and cob remnants, etc. will clog the auger mechanism. We highly recommend the use of a sifter; sifters to filter your corn are available from dealers (and we offer a sifter at www.englanderstoves.com). Damage caused by dirty and/or unfiltered (unsifted) corn is not covered by the product warranty – ask for and use clean filtered bagged corn only.

•IMPORTANT: DO NOT BURN “TREATED†SEED CORN IN YOUR STOVE. Seed corn is treated with chemical pesticides that are harmful or fatal if swallowed; therefore, seed corn is dangerous to have in the house, especially where children can reach it. Burning treated seed corn in your stove will void your warranty and will destroy the exhaust system on the unit.

• There are many varieties of corn grown around the world. Each variety has unique characteristics including the shape and size of the kernel. Your stove will burn more consistently with a small to medium kernel corn. If the kernel size of the corn varies greatly or if you switch sources frequently, you will get a less consistent burn. Do not use corn with high wax content."

Delete

Thanks imacman. I gotta drop by tsc tommorow to get another ton of pellets. I will take the corn back. Its not worth the chance.

Actually i found an analysis ticket stuck on one of those bags. says pripionic acid. Which is a form of sugar. So its definitely going back.

Wonder what would happen if you throw 40lbs of popcorn in there?!

Status
Not open for further replies.