Burning for Color?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tiger

Feeling the Heat
Feb 3, 2014
Seabrook, MD (DC suburbs)
Last year on another topic I mused "Maybe there's a market for pellets with copper sulfate added, for decorative effect."

Well, I looked on-line and read something on making your own chemically-enhanced pine cones, etc.; it looks interesting but.... would it damage the stove? Apparently bags of copper sulfate are cheap.

Pilfered content:

How to Make Colored Flames for Fireplace
A reader recently asked me. “Do you know where I may obtain the formulae for the chemicals in which to soak pine cones that will cause them to produce colored flames when burned?”

My answer took me back to my youth. Once upon a time I fancied myself a chemist, going so far as to take it as my college major. Thankfully, by my senior year, I found that I had absolutely no talent in the discipline and so became a contented horticulture educator.

Still, occasions arise when my chemistry background is needed. Questions about soilpH, fertilizer content and pesticide reactions demand a minuscule knowledge of chemistry, which is all I possess after these many years.

Your question gives me an opportunity to use my college education once again. Here are the chemicals commonly used for making pine cones or firewood burn in different colors:

FLAME COLOR – CHEMICAL
Yellow – Sodium chloride
Purple – Potassium chloride
Orange – Calcium chloride
Green – Copper sulfate
Red – Strontium chloride
Blue – Copper chloride
Carmine – Lithium chloride

Use only the chemicals shown–DO NOT ACCEPT NITRATES OR CHLORATES AS SUBSTITUTES.

The first four chemicals are easiest to find. Sodium chloride is, of course, common table salt. Potassium chloride is the ingredient in “no sodium” salt substitutes. Calcium chloride is the chemical in dehumidifying/moisture-absorbing products such as Damp Rid(tm). It is also found inblossom end rotspray for your tomatoes. Copper sulfate is found at hardware stores in products such as ROOTO(tm) copper sulphate root killer. The other chemicals can be purchased fromBoreal Laboratories.

Mix a half-pound of individual chemical in two gallons of water and soak pine cones or scraps of pine lumber overnight. After drying, put one or two at a time in your fireplace for psychedelic winter enjoyment.

Remember these rules:

1.Chemicals should be kept away from children and pets.
2. Store the chemicals in airtight glass or plastic containers.
3.Wear rubber gloves when handling the chemicals.
4. Burning of the materials treated with the chemicals should be done only after the fire in the fireplace is providing a good draft.

Strontium carbonate is also very viable for reds. Orange is one of the hardest to produce so don't expect to get a very good orange with sidewalk deicer. Several greens but most are very toxic.

Should have a Warning label on this thread. Probably not the best idea for people to start working with chemicals. Mix the wrong ones and who knows what will happen.

WARNING: GREAT RISK MAY BE INVOLVED. POSSIBLE FIRE, EXPLOSION, TOXIC FUMES AND OR EVEN DEATH CAN OCCUR. DO NOT MIX CHEMICALS. MAKE SURE THE PROPER CHEMICALS ARE USED. PPE STRONGLY SUGGESTED.

I know what PPD is but what is PPE?

Same things then.

Reactions: Wisneaky
Should have a Warning label on this thread.

Fair enough; probably worthwhile to read up on the hazards before proceeding. Thnaks for bringing that up.

Not sure before research what side effects might be from -- in some sames -- making salt water.:p

That aside -- OP question -- could it hurt the stove? I just visualize strontium dioxide given off as a byproduct of combustion and eating a hole in the exhaust pipe.!!!

I sometimes burn driftwood in the woodstove, it makes pretty colors without having to mix up salts and soak the wood.

That's driftwood from the ocean, not from a lake or river.

Dave

I sometimes burn driftwood in the woodstove, it makes pretty colors without having to mix up salts and soak the wood. That's driftwood from the ocean, not from a lake or river.

That is interesting. Of course, impractical to burn large pieces of driftwood in a pellet stove. I was thinking of looking for small pieces of wood that could be treated and tossed directly in the firepot for a couple minutes of color. Not sure what, but my wife was not amused last night when I suggested that, as I was less interested than she in playing Scrabble these days...

Status
Not open for further replies.