burning my squirrel in the rain and hear some water sizzling in the ceiling box?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leakypuppy

Hearth Supporter
Mar 3, 2008
Northern NJ
A few weeks ago I was burning while it was raining and there was sizzling and popping coming from the ceiling support box. I'm assuming that some water is running down the pipe past the storm collar and collecting but haven't gone up to check. I just wanted to make sure that this is NOT normal. I can understand why water coming down the pipe would be undesirable but there is no watertight seal -- just the storm collar so I can imagine a little water coming in.

Thanks in advance your your help.

-jim

I had the same exact issue with my chimney. thought it was the storm collar, flashing etc. Turned out it was the water "wicking" into the vertical seams of the chimney pipe and running down in between the two layers of pipe and collecting in the ceiling support and eventually dripping onto the stove top. Sealed all exposed seams up and havent had a problem since.

So the seams where the stove pipe screws together huh? what did you seal with?

Had the same issue. The installers came back and ran a bead of silicone all the way up the final section of Class A, and the leak stopped.

Pagey said:
Had the same issue. The installers came back and ran a bead of silicone all the way up the final section of Class A, and the leak stopped.

All the way up, you mean vertical? I'm not following...

Yes. Each section of my Class A is 3' long. Each section has its own seam that runs vertically up the pipe. Even though the 3' section that entered the roof/attic space had a bead of silicone caulk on it, the installers only put a bead half way up the final 3' section of Class A. Water ran down the vertical seam on the last 3' section and worked in behind the caulk on the 3' section that entered the roof/attic. Running a full bead the rest of the way up the final 3' section fixed the leak.

Thanks. Its pouring outside now but I understand.

Glad to be of assistance. It was frustrating to have the leak so soon after the install, but it was an easy remedy once the rains let up. Water is amazing - it can find the path of least resistance when and where you least expect it. I'd have never suspected it would work itself down behind a bead of silicone caulk because the install only ran it half way up a section of pipe. But find its way down it did!

leakypuppy said:
So the seams where the stove pipe screws together huh? what did you seal with?

No mine was the vertical seams. I used rutland high temp clear silicone to seal them. The way the horizontal seams overlap makes it kinda impossible for water to leak at those points but you could put some there too just to make sure.

Look at this pic of the Class A where it passes through my ceiling into the attic. You can see the vertical seam running up the length of the pipe. This is where water was leaking in, only it was coming down the very last length of Class A, which was outside, exposed to the elements.

ceiling2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.