Burning oak "slabs"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

suprz

Sep 24, 2012
Rhode island
Just wondering, there is a guy locally selling log length oak slabs for firewood. I guess he must have some kind of mill he works at or owns. They are 40 bucks for a truckload. Good deal ??...I was thinking of getting some. I figure they would season.fairly quickly

They do season relatively quickly. Sounds like it is worth a try.

$40 for a pickup load? What is the price of a cord of wood there? Slab wood is a lot of bark and sapwood but if the load was heaped up above the sides of the bed, it might be an OK deal.

Reactions: smokinj
$40 for a pickup load? What is the price of a cord of wood there? Slab wood is a lot of bark and sapwood but if the load was heaped up above the sides of the bed, it might be an OK deal.

A seasoned cord around here is anywhere from 175 to 240

Growing up we burned a lot of slab wood, I would get a truckload and try it.

I'd get some. About 20 yrs ago 1 winter I was off with knee injury & snow was too deep to get around easily in the woods.Hadnt planned ahead so woodpile was getting low.Bought 3 p/u loads of red/white oak & cottonwood slabs from local mill for like $60 if I remember.....Really saved the day until Spring.

Its about $20 a pickup load here. I burnt a bunch of slab wood last year!

Sent from my rooted and eclipse running X2--thanks nitro-- if im posting on here I'm probably supposed to be working! I can't help im addicted to HEARTH.COM!

There are good buys on slab wood and poor buys. Depends upon the mill. If there is some wood and not all bark, then it is a good deal. That oak will dry quicker but still I would not plan on burning it right away. I'd give it a year...depending upon how long it has set around at the mill.

For fourty bucks buy some and see what you get. You might get a lot of wood, you might get mostly bark.

Reactions: ScotO
wow...10 bucks a load for slab wood around here..but its alot of bark...heck u can get a small pickup truck of wood for 40.00 bucks here

Just wondering, there is a guy locally selling log length oak slabs for firewood. I guess he must have some kind of mill he works at or owns. They are 40 bucks for a truckload. Good deal ??...I was thinking of getting some. I figure they would season.fairly quickly

If you need wood it's a good way to go in a pinch & like said, it dries pretty fast.
Check out some other saw mills in your area, may find some cheaper. Try a load & see how it works for you.
"Always take a "big truck" to get a load" ;)

I'd just about guarantee that wood is gonna be dripping..... buy a load and find out.

"A seasoned cord around here is anywhere from 175 to 240"

I'm just North of you and I haven't seen anything that cheap.

My dad used to have slab wood delivered on a big flatbead when I was a kid. I think we would get about six cord out of it and it heated the house all that winter. I am sure we did not season the stuff properly but dad did clean the chimney often. One truckload is worth trying.

I agree with the others....buy a load, cut 'er up and give it a shot. Can't hurt to try it out. If it's decent stuff, might make a good shoulder season supplement....

The slab wood we get is debarked first and is $25 for a banded bundle 3' x4' x 8' it is a pain to handle but there is no splitting.

gg

Status
Not open for further replies.