Burning Phurnacite or other smokeless solid fuel...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtcedinburgh

Sep 19, 2006
Fife Riviera, Scotland
Hi folks, it's been a while since I was last here...

Anyway, I have a Morso Owl which is a very efficient 7kW multi-fuel stove. I also have a 15m chimney lined with 316Ti liner. I generally only burn logs - mainly hardwood but some waste pine also.

I'm looking to supplement my log fuel with something which provides an overnight burn - I have never been able to manage this with wood alone in my Owl. I am interested in Phurnacite smokeless fuel.

My question is: I am under the impression that using such a smokeless fuel places greater demands and potentially greater 'attack' on a stainless liner. I wanted to find out if this really is the case. My usage would be simply to generate a lazy overnight burn so that I can get the stove going in the morning, so I would bank a shovel-full of the fuel just before hitting the sack so that I get some warmth overnight.

What should I watch out for? I get the chimney swept at least once a year, and there's rarely more than a little soot - no sign of creosote, which befits the very clean and efficient burn of the Owl. I could of course have the flue swept more regularly if required - would this be wise if I start 'mixing and matching' my fuels?

Any and all tips appreciate,

Thanks,

John

Hi jt. We don't have this phuel over here. You get all the phun stuff like Phurnacite. And often our version of the stove will not be multi-phuel. Please post a phield report if you try it. :)

Essentially it appears to be compressed anthracite coal dust. So it probably would have similar phlue requirements as coal burning.

I think I will try it, I'm just a bit worried about how my 316Ti liner will cope with smokeless solid fuel*.

* my understanding being that though there is no 'smoke' as such, there are of course fumes and that these fumes are somewhat corrosive, hence my worry about the liner...

If this is a good, heavy gauge liner it will probably be ok. Best to ask the manufacturer about it.

phreaking hilarious BG. Coal produces nasty gasses that aren't necessarily visible. I would n't guess but would inquire with the liner manufacturer as well as Morso for suitability of the product to burn coal.

Thanks. Stove is certified multi-fuel, so it should be ok, but I have no idea of the brand/model of liner I have, other than the fact that it is 316 grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.