Burning Pine??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scottandlorig

Dec 18, 2010
Davison, MI.
It's 8* outside right now and 74* inside and I'm not paying the power company to do it! I love it!!!

Anyways, I was told by my neighbor that the local tree service company would deliver logs to my home for free.
I don't think I could be picky and tell them no to pine, just hard wood only :D

So does anyone burn pine? Is it worth it?

Thanks...

Take it. Though I normally cut mixed oaks/hickory on a certain property,I scrounge & do occasional cutting for hire when my schedule permits several times during the year.Picked up 2 big loads of very large & knotty Juniper/Eastern Red Cedar in Nov.2007 less than 5 blocks from my house on way home from work one afternoon.Wasnt easy splitting,dont burn as long as hardwoods,but very hot & smells great while the fire is building.I would grab it again if the opportunity arises.

Pine is fine. White pine will give you about half the btus as the white oak/hickory cohort. Great shoulder season wood. . . . and what they said ^^^^.

Take whatever they give you, it's all good when it's free.

I like pine. Sure, some of the hardwoods have more BTUs per split, but pine ignites faster and gets hot faster. I find that every morning I have a pile of coals that I want to burn down. A few slabs of pine on top of the coals heats the stove up fast and I get an hour or so of good heat from one or two pine slabs plus the coals. If I use hardwood for this, I burn up the coals but the splits I have added leave behind coals, so I don't reduce the coal pile as fast. Pine definitely has its place. Plus, I like the smell of pine. Same goes for spruce, fir, and Red Cedar.

Pine is fine . . . I tend to use it more in the shoulder seasons when I want a fast, hot fire to just warm up the place . . . but I also use it for kindling and as Wood Duck mentioned to burn down excessive coals. Just make sure the pine is seasoned -- cut, split and stack for a year . . . and chances are you will be good to go.

Thanks,
I will give em a call and see if what my neighbor said is true.

WooDpSycho said:
It's 8* outside right now and 74* inside and I'm not paying the power company to do it! I love it!!!

Anyways, I was told by my neighbor that the local tree service company would deliver logs to my home for free.
I don't think I could be picky and tell them no to pine, just hard wood only :D

So does anyone burn pine? Is it worth it?

Thanks...

I burn pine 95% of the time since it accounts for the vast majority of our native trees on the Front Range of CO. It works great and seasons quickly. I just have to work a bit harder (and load the stove more often) to match the BTUs of, lets say, 4 cords of hardwood but thats just how it is for us pine burners. We're a hardy bunch;)

Pine is good fuel. I am far enough ahead now that all my pine is at least two years old.

One of the great overlooked uses for pine, other than easy starting fires, fast heat, and great shoulder season fuel, is for when it is extremely cold and hard to heat the house. During these times, so much oak sometimes gets stuffed in the stove that the coals eventualy build up so much that there is not enough room for wood to keep the heat output sufficient. That is the time to burn some pine. Lots of heat, and the coals get to burn down.

Best part, it is often free, if not delivered, and cut to length as well.

Pine dries in one season, oak takes two seasons.

That alone makes pine > oak in my book.

I PREFER all kinds of pine over hardwoods, for daytime fires.

The hardwoods are pretty nice for overnight burns on the coldest nights, though.

Other than that, pine is king ... and it is usually free.

You can do worse than Pine. Just don't burn it when its this cold out.

Free is free. I used to shun pine, but definitely will no longer do that if I can get it dropped in the driveway. Maybe I will when I am five years ahead with oak...but until then - my place is open to pine (and polar for that matter). Why have I changed my attitude...well, because of the folks here. That and I want to get ahead fast...and pine is readily available...for free.

i like yellow pine to make kindling out of, and once in a while I'll find some lighter pine.
I have exhausted my supply of it this year and it's sorely missed. Personally I wouldn't
burn more than a 50% mix of pine and hardwoods. Just from the ol wives tale lol.

I have been burning mostly pine this winter. I had about 1.5 cords of it. I mix it with beech. My pine and beech are in the same same stack so depending on how many pieces of each are stacked together, depends on whats in the stove. Some reloads are all pine, some are all beech. Trying to save the oak I have left :)

Put a load of mixed wood which included several pieces of pine in the stove last night with the temps around zero . . . probably shouldn't have added as much pine as I did . . . thing went close to going thermonuclear . . . nice, dry pine . . . warmed the place up well . . . and thanks to the mix of hardwood it lasted a fair amount of time as well . . . most defnitely not a pine hater here.

I burn the pine during the day when I'm there to feed it. Then a load of oak/hickory to carry us through the long night.

Status
Not open for further replies.