Burning primer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drdoct

Feeling the Heat
Jan 24, 2008
Griffin, GA
I've been searching , but can't seem to find it. Does anyone have a link to knowledgeable posts on how to burn properly in a new stove? I would think that the hearth room should have a sticky with all the good posts on how to burn. It'd be a lot more helpful than a sticky to a wood chopping game IMO. I'm still about 2 weeks away from my first burn in the Lopi, but am starting to question how exactly I'm going to burn. Thanks.

That is a good movie. Also check your lopi manual for the proper break in procedure.

Just so your aware....there is no "single method" that could be a sticky. Different stoves have different procedures.

That's a good vid, full of lots of great info. Keep in mind there are almost as many ways to start & maintain a fire as there are those of us who do it. Top-down, or bottom-up...pack it full and burn the whole cycle, or get a good coal bed and toss another split in now and again...there's really no "right way", although there are a number of "wrong ways". Seasoned wood, start small and let it build, keep the wood away from the window a couple inches, don't choke down the air until the fire's well established with a good bed of coals beneath, use a thermometer placed appropriately for your appliance configuration, learn about creosote and how to minimize it (do some searches here on "building a fire" and "creosote")....on and on. Make fire, learn your stove, and enjoy it! Rick

That is a great video. I guess I'm dumb, but I've NEVER been able to load wood packed like that in an old stove. That's really the way to do it in a epa stove eh? I'm getting pretty excited to get my insert in. Got the liner on the way and the kaowool to put on top of the blockoff plate. A new era of burning for me. Even got the old stove sold and it will be picked up Saturday. Now I've got to get it swept and clean the soot off the bricks where the insert covers were against it. I think I'll try Easy Off first. I do think the moderators should put a sticky with links to how to videos and step by step videos.

I am surprised that some stove dealers don't provide there customers with some information about burning there stoves. These new EPA stoves are a different animal than the old ones. I know the last two stoves I bought (from different dealers) I got zip for information, except the owners manual, which doesn't include everything you need. ie over-fire temperature

I done top down, bottom up, and few things I'm not proud of.

General advice- throw in a couple good sized splits paralel NS, and 2-3 smaller ones across (EW). Throw in a couple sheets of balled up, but not too tight, newspaper sort of under the cross pieces in front. If it's dry pine- I can just light the paper and it will generally start- swear to Jeebus. However- some really thin split stuff, and a few 1" size pieces on top of the paper will help. I get rid of a lot of loose bark this way. Often the only "kindling" that I use is what I rip off of splits by hand- but then if you had a steel trap for a hand like I do you could just rip the end off the log. (lookin good, pablo)

Open primary air. Light. Leave the door open a crack. What happens is that the stuff that catches up front, and fire is swept in by the breeze from the door, impinging on the rest of the wood. Sometimes there's too much air- keep your hand on the door handle and play with positioning. After a few minutes, close the door.

The rest- when to close primary air, how much to load, etc- all require experimentation with your stove and flue (yes- the flue makes a big difference!).

for those who do the top down fires, do these tend to be less smoky when you first start them? My chimney does NOT draw well when it's cold (it's out and up, metal chimney). When I let the fire go out and start from a cold stove, I get LOTS of smoke in the room until the fire catches and the chimney gets warmed up and starts to draw. Are there starter products that don't smoke too much?

:coolsmile:

Johnny B. said:
for those who do the top down fires, do these tend to be less smoky when you first start them? My chimney does NOT draw well when it's cold (it's out and up, metal chimney). When I let the fire go out and start from a cold stove, I get LOTS of smoke in the room until the fire catches and the chimney gets warmed up and starts to draw. Are there starter products that don't smoke too much?

:coolsmile:

That is one big advantage of top down fire starting. The knotted paper on top burns first warming up the pipe before smoke starts coming off the kindling under it. By the time the kindling starts you have a pretty good draft going.

Try a top down start with primary air fully open and close the door right away and see how it goes. You will be able to see when the draft takes off.

Status
Not open for further replies.