burning short splits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roxys dad

Nov 10, 2010
No NJ
This is my first post to this site. i have been lurking here for a long time, you guys are great, I have learned so much. i,m not new to wood burning i grew up with a jutal stove and am in my fourth season with my regency insert. I was wondering if anybody has any tips for loading short splits i'm talking 10 inches for longer burn times its red oak 18 months stacked and covered it burns great but too fast i've got a ton of the stuff it was cut that short when i scrounged it worked well in the shoulder season during the day but if anybody has any tips for overnight burns that would be great

I think you need to be more specific about your question. You mean how to go about loading up the stove with these smaller pieces?

Even my small pieces of oak have hang time, not sure why yours would burn up too quick.

Yes I was looking for any tips about loading small splits currenty going north south then a layer east west burns fast and hot

Load it all north and south and pack it tight so air can not get through it very well, I am sure you will get other ideas.

I knew somebody would have an idea i did'nt try yet good one you guys are great

You could also butt the pieces together as if it were one long split. I got 3 cord of wood for free once and it was all too long for my stove and I had to about 4 inches off every piece. I just butted the short pieces together as if it were one long split as they were too short for N/S packing.

Status
Not open for further replies.