1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Burning Spruce

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by jj54, Dec 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jj54

jj54 New Member

Loc:
    Central CT
    Hey guys, I have a large Spruce tree in my yard that's too close to the house, and am probably going to have it taken down. I know it's near the bottom in heat output, (I Think)....but I hate to waste it....anybody here have any experience burning spruce...

Using an older Dutchwest 2183 from around 1991.

Thanks for the info.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. CowboyAndy

CowboyAndy New Member

Loc:
    Chateaugay, NY
    if its wood, burn it. Make sure its seasoned. It will burn hot and fast, so dont use it for an overnight burn. I use alot of pine and other soft woods for getting it going in the morning. Its good for getting it up to temp fast.
  3. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I've been burning some standing dead spruce and fir this year . . . like most other softwoods, it will burn fast and hot providing it has been seasoned. Good for early season burning or to get the woodstove up and running in short order. The one thing I've learned in the short time I've been a member here is that wood is wood and all wood burns if seasoned.
  4. CowboyAndy

CowboyAndy New Member

Loc:
    Chateaugay, NY
    ha, beat you to it! :p
  5. jj54

jj54 New Member

Loc:
    Central CT
    Ok guys.. Thanks for the info.
  6. fugazi42

fugazi42 New Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I burn a LOT of spruce and I love it. I have an uncle who builds guitars and sells tone wood for a living- he cuts dozens of spruce logs every year and I get all of the scraps and offcuts, which there is a lot of. I burn primarily spruce in the late fall and early spring for quick, hot fires. In the winter I use spruce as kindling and to get the fire going again in the morning. It splits beautifully so you can get really small pieces for kinding. I don't know what I'd do without my supply of spruce! It also dries pretty quick, BTW.

Josh
  7. CowboyAndy

CowboyAndy New Member

Loc:
    Chateaugay, NY
    right now my morning ritual is laying down 2 thin spruce N-S, then 3-4 small pine kindlind pieces E-W across them. Gets me a nice hot fire to help warm up the house. After 20 min or so, I throw some hard wood on to last till my wife can get down there.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.