Burning too much wood???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RegencyNS

Feb 13, 2008
Atlantic Canada
My new Regency F2400M seems to be burning too much wood. I have a flue probe thermometer approx 18 ins above the stove on the stove pipe. I keep the fire burning between 400 F and 500 F to get good heat from it. But it seems like im filling the stove every 2-3 hrs and this wood is somewhat green. I will have dry wood next season, so im thinking that dry wood will burn even faster?????? Is this normal?

Hi -

I'm guessing you will be fine with properly dried wood. IIRC some 30%, or more, of the heat of a split is used to boil off water.
This means that you are burning ~30% more wood than needed I;m guessing yuou will like burning decent wood nexy year.

Enjoy,
Mike P

I just (and many others on this board) cant stress enough that you must burn dry wood in your stoves. Green wood is unacceptable for a boat load full of reasons. Truthfully, if I only had green wood, I wouldnt even burn it.

The other replies hit the nail on the head. I would add wet wood burning creates creosote and the possibility of a chimney fire. Check your chimney often to get a handle on it. Be safe, use smoke and co alarms and be prepared for the worst.

Yup. Trying to get heat from green wood is like trying to pick strawberries in the winter. It doesn't work. It takes all the energy just to evaporate the moisture. The draft has to be open too far and that just sends what heat you get straight up the chimney. So it probably is not a stove problem. Dry wood will make the stove work properly.

Here is a test for you. try to bum off a days worth of dry wood from a buddy and see what happends!

I understand everyone's reluctance and passion about not burning green/wet wood, but sometimes "you gotta do whatcha gotta do." If burning wet wood is the difference between staying warm or getting cold, or paying out the butt for fuel, well...that stuff is going to get burned. While certainly not a preferred situation, I seem to average at least 1 or 2 pick-up loads per winter (out of 10-12) that I would prefer to season more before burning, but I do not have that luxury. While I am envious (but very impressed) of the great pictures and reports of wood stockpiled for 1-3 years in advance, regardless of my best laid plans each year, work and play invariably get in the way and I end up (if I am lucky) staying ahead by a month or two at best.

Yes shawnmd seasoned firewood will burn better than unseasoned but it does put out more heat. So maybe next year burning seasoned wood you won't feel you're burning too much wood if you're warm. You'll be maxing the efficiency of the stove burning seasoned wood and will find contentment.

BotetourtSteve said:
I understand everyone's reluctance and passion about not burning green/wet wood, but sometimes "you gotta do whatcha gotta do." If burning wet wood is the difference between staying warm or getting cold, or paying out the butt for fuel, well...that stuff is going to get burned. While certainly not a preferred situation, I seem to average at least 1 or 2 pick-up loads per winter (out of 10-12) that I would prefer to season more before burning, but I do not have that luxury. While I am envious (but very impressed) of the great pictures and reports of wood stockpiled for 1-3 years in advance, regardless of my best laid plans each year, work and play invariably get in the way and I end up (if I am lucky) staying ahead by a month or two at best.

I hear ya Steve. The rule around here has always been that if it is cold in the house what will burn is gonna burn. In fact next season will be interesting. I have a next years laid in for the first time in 30 years.

I bet what happens is that seeing those stacks already there will slow me down getting wood cut this year and I will be back to busting hiney in April next year.

BrotherBart said:
I bet what happens is that seeing those stacks already there will slow me down getting wood cut this year and I will be back to busting hiney in April next year.

Hahaha - that's what always gets me too! I'll get the shed pretty full and then get a free afternoon or weekend and say to myself, "Hmmm, I probably should cut another load of wood today, but it sure would be a good day to..." (hunt, fish, golf, etc, etc) Wanna guess what wins out? Then I'm in the woodshed a month or two later filling up another wheelbarrow load when I realize I'd better scramble or will be out of wood in 4 or 5 days. Always wonder how that happens... Now I can (and do) make a phone call or two for delivered wood (I average about 50-50 cut and bought - have a surgically-repaired back so I'm just not gonna get but so dedicated), but there is no guarantee that it won't show up on the wet side, especially if it is red or chesnut oak that has been cut dead and laying on the ground - a favorite of wood cutters here for its accessibility in national forest thanks to gypsy moths, and ease of cutting/splitting, but bad about retaining/soaking up moisture).

It is called, "Setting your priorities."

I agree that at times it is so tempting to just chuck it all, but we are talking some pretty big dollars here when it comes to keeping one's butt warm during the heating season. So maybe it is time to raise the priority and have your year's supply on hand a year ahead.

It might even be worth buying a couple cases of beer and having some buddies kick in on a weekend or two to help get a bunch of wood cut. You can have fun while working. That, my kind friends, is the very best way to work. When work ceases to be fun, it can be a very difficult time.

Just a short while ago I was visiting with an old friend. Actually there were several guys there before we were done. Bill told the group that the best thing he ever learned about work he learned from me! I was honored but humbled too. Seems when we were both young men (I lived with that family for a time) one day he was having problems because he had to do some work he didn't want to do. Somehow I told him how to have fun while working...even when he preferred not to have to do it. I gave him some pointers on how I did it and BINGO! He has looked at work that way ever since, and we aren't exactly spring chickens anymore.

Set priorities and have fun. Life becomes much easier and better that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.