Burnpot Acting Oddly On XXV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thedude110

Feeling the Heat
Aug 12, 2011
Central Connecticut
Having a strange issue with the burnpot on my XXV.

I'm running the stove on Room Temp, set to 70 to keep the house at 66. This afternoon, while I was out, the hopper ran dry. I had been burning Barefoots, but switched over to McFeeter's last night.

When I came home the house was down to 62 (stove had 4 degrees to make up). I turned the stove off, filled the hopper, and turned the thermostat to 70. The stove lit strongly on the left hand side of the burnpot, but the right did not light. The stove kept feeding, so many pellets, including some smoldering pellets, went into the ash pan.

I cleaned the burnpot of pellets and vacuumed the ash pan and relit. It again burned strongly on the left, and this time the fire slowly spread to the right. Because of rapid feeding, the fire was very close to the edge of the burnpot, so again smoldering pellets fell into the ashpan. The fire eventually caught up to the pellet load, and the stove is burning normally now.

I scraped the burnpot smooth and took a linteater to the inside and outside of the exhaust path just yesterday, so unless I missed a giant clog somewhere, I've got good air in and out. Any ideas what's going on? Is this an igniter on the edge of failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.