Busted Axle.....Here are the pics...another pic at bottom

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswoodhauler

Minister of Fire
May 20, 2008
Massachusetts
Well, my little 5 X 7 Utility Trailer came to is end today.
Was hauling a small load of maple that I cut and split at the mom in laws, and got 1/10th mile down the road and the axle snapped.
Not happy, considering it was 88 out and pretty humid. Got my garden cart out of the garage, and made the schlep down to the trailer to haul the wood back to the house. Then, backed up the trailer 1/10 mile back into the garage.
Not sure what I am going to do with it now......funny, after stacking the wood, I would be surprised if it was even 600-700 pounds or so.
Not yournormal axle that goes all the way across, but basically the wheels and leaf springs on either side, with a metal rod that goes from side to side and itsnapped.
So, talk about a waste of a day...cut a bunch of logs, split a bunch of rounds....only to put in in the trailer, than take out of the trailer 1/10 mile awat....not a good day...I need a beer....maybe more.
Gotta get that freakin truck now.

Attachments

• trailer 2.jpg
    trailer 2.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 405
ilikewood said:
Gotta get that freakin truck now.

That's the spirit, ante up. I scored a cord today and it wasn't a day to be movin wood any further than you had to.

I regularly overload my 5x10 (2200 lb axle) One day that is going to happen to me. I guess Ill have to pray it will make the trips.
Now you have an excuse to get that truck or maybe a new trailer.

^yeah I was thinking just weld it up ...it's an off road trailer still has a lot of life to it.

Well, I guess its not an axle per se. Basically, it is a metal bar that goes from the left to right wheels, and it snapped about 10 inches from the left wheel. (It is the main structural piece that went from the right wheel to left, but did not actually connect to the wheel) when it snapped, both wheels caved outward along with the springs. Since the trailer frame is pretty old, and now some of the major pieces have been bent as well, I don't think its worth the $$ to fix....only paid $300 for it last year....its pretty old. If you look at where it snapped from one of the ends, the metal is in the shape of a T.
I guess I would like a truck, but I think I might just be buying a trailer and frame, and maybe moving the decking and sides from the old to new trailer. Really want to get a truck, but its just not in the cards right now. I have a small vehicle, and The trailer would not be used for hauling a 1/2 cord of wood....just to bring crap to the dump/home depot runs, bring mower/snowblower to service, etc...

Looking at perhaps something like this:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/traile...-on-4-ft-x-8-ft-trailer-1500-lbs-gvwr-1000215

http://www.tractorsupply.com/traile...n-5-ft-x-8-ft-sp-trailer-2000-lb-gvwr-1090202

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200329599_200329599

Thanks Solar and Wood. Yes, I am a bit leary of getting another used one, but thanks for the link. I still check Craigs list. Right now, my towing vehicle is a 2002 Subaru Forester with 105000 on the clock. Max weight is 2000 lbs, and 200 on the tounge. Based on its age, I am probably looking at putting 1500 max on it, and since I don't need a huge landscape trailer, a small 5 X 7 or smaller would probably be ok. I think I am looking at the newer ones as they are a bit lighter.
Other vehicle is a 2005 Honda Odyssey without a hitch....so, question is....perhaps buy a bigger trailer I can tow with the Honda, or just same up the pennys and get a truck in a year or so...and not have to worry about trailer problems. Economically, the trailer is much better....just don't want to be stranded on the side of the road with a trailer full of whatever :)

105K is nothing for a decent built car/truck. I have moved the dump trailer empty a few times with our 01 Outback with the 6 cylinder/towing package on it. It seems fine but I wouldn't overload it as the front of the car gets super light super quick and that much weight will roast the car brakes without trailer brakes. If your wife drives the Honda, I wouldn't use it as a firewood gatherer. No good can come from that.

Make sure you check w/ the DMV before purchasing a trailer, especially a new one, and find out what sort of documentation is required to get it registered... I don't know the details as I haven't done it, but I know that I've heard tales of people who have purchased trailers from HF and other such places and had much trouble registering them because they couldn't get the right documents...

Gooserider

Well how about this angle. Unless you have nowhere to park it. Find a 1988 or older F-250 3/4 ton p/u with a 300ci straight six for $2800 or less. Insure it for 3-6 months a year and put it to work. Save those other two vehicles the grief. Those are both awesome vehicles but not meant to wast away on fire wood. The P/U has all basic parts and can be maintained allot cheaper. Trust me. The truck does not have to look pretty and 150,000 miles on them is nothing. Remember its for wood.
N of 60

I bought a 4x8 from Harbor Frieght a few years ago and had it truck shipped to our house. The trailer has been great; I mostly use it to haul my ATV. I opted for the one with the larger wheels. I put on a 4x8 sheet of plywood for decking and made some side rails out of 2x4's. For under $500, it's served me well. Registering it wasn't too bad. They put the title in the box. The DMV gave me little greif over where it was "signed", but they let it slide.

I suggest a heavy used trailer from craigslist. There are always good deals. Don't go for a light trailer. Get a heavy one. They are built stronger. A good heavy trailer will last 30 yrs, if taken care of. You can pay under $500 for a smaller <6x10 trailer on craigs

north of 60 said:
Well how about this angle. Unless you have nowhere to park it. Find a 1988 or older F-250 3/4 ton p/u with a 300ci straight six for $2800 or less. Insure it for 3-6 months a year and put it to work. Save those other two vehicles the grief. Those are both awesome vehicles but not meant to wast away on fire wood. The P/U has all basic parts and can be maintained allot cheaper. Trust me. The truck does not have to look pretty and 150,000 miles on them is nothing. Remember its for wood.
N of 60

I went the other way. I had a 1992 with the straight six (300ci). It ran great but was only being used for firewood. One of the gas tanks rusted a hole in it, I had to replace brake lines to the rear, and the body was starting to fall apart. The A/C, heat and power steering still worked, but it was always something with the truck. I used it for work for 15 years and it ran faithfully up to 200K (Miles). The last 2-3 years sitting around were hard on it. I finally gave up and donated it to a not-for-profit.

I picked up a trailer with a ramp on it. Now I can roll heavy rounds up onto it, tow it with my current work truck or my wife's mini-van. It cost $25 to license for the year, and I don't insure it, as my auto policy covers me for anything I'm towing. I'm sold on a small trailer. We even took it camping this year to haul all of the extra crap that we like to take. It works great for me.

Pics of the hauler.

After tipping the thing upside down, and seeing all the rust, I don;t thin its worthy of a repair....most of the metal is bent, and had I seen the underside of it, I would probably have not used it.

Looks like its truck or a new trailer for me.

Attachments

• trailer 3.jpg
    trailer 3.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 385
Probably tough to weld rust eh ?

Attachments

• trailer 4.jpg
    trailer 4.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 248
Yep, I'd say you're ready for an upgrade. Looks like you got your moneys worth out of it.

Steve

ilikewood said:
Probably tough to weld rust eh ?
Just get some square tubing that has an ID of that axle, get larger U-bolts, and redneck it back together. %-P

rust is no problem if there is some sort of base underneath it. 6011 rod is a farmers friend, aggressive penetration and fast freeze.
I'd hoist it upside down, weld on on some angles, use it a garden/home cart and get a better trailer for the highway.

Looks like it's mostly the axle that is gone, might (or might not) be worth looking into just getting a new axle and possibly springs.... Of course this assumes that all the duct tape on the tongue is just holding the wiring harness on, not keeping the trailer together... ;-P

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
Looks like it's mostly the axle that is gone, might (or might not) be worth looking into just getting a new axle and possibly springs.... Of course this assumes that all the duct tape on the tongue is just holding the wiring harness on, not keeping the trailer together... ;-P

Gooserider

Good one Goose and Lee....all that tape gave me an extra 50lbs on the tongue :) just kidding.
Yeah, the wood part of the trailer is fine, but all the metal underneath is beyond its life....springs are bent, and the wheels and bearings are a little scary....going to scrap the metal stuff and keep the wood part
I'm looking at some of base 4 X 8 trailers on tractor supply/harbor frieght, and I am just going to take the wood frame off and apply to the new trailer.
Heard some reviews that the haul masters are not engineered that well, but I only need to haul about 1000-1100 pounds tops.
I'll keep looking at Cl and see if I can find anything decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.