Busy Weekend, My biggest scrounge yet.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swagler85

Minister of Fire
Mar 4, 2012
NE Ohio
seansellsohio.com
oak1.jpgoak.jpgload.jpgload1.jpglocust.jpglocust1.jpg Big storm knocked a big pin oak over up the road. Got a call from the owner asking if I was interested in taking the tree. Heck yes, went down to look at it and its a big tree. Thing was 40 inches where it snapped 12 feet off the ground. Started on on that then dad called and said he had a locust leaning over his neighbors place, so went over last night and took that down too. Had my neighbor come down and haul the oak back to the house for me. Locust looks like 1/3 cord, and the oak I have no idea on but its a lot of wood. But got two trailer loads out of it!

Man, that looks great! Nice to have the heavy equipment to make things easier on you. Are you sure that's really pin oak?

Happy cutting & splitting!

Man, that looks great! Nice to have the heavy equipment to make things easier on you. Are you sure that's really pin oak?

Happy cutting & splitting!
Could be wrong, thought was pin oak though. I'm no expert, I can post some pics of cut ends and splits if that helps.

Nice scrounging without having to scrounge.
Having folks call because they know you want the wood is pretty darn nice. :)
Great score!

looks like nice clean logs that will yield alot of wood
more than a scrounge on this one
I would like to see the pics of what one of those big oak rounds yields.
I think this falls into the category of Mega Scrounge

I would like to see the pics of what one of those big oak rounds yields.
I think this falls into the category of Mega Scrounge

I will give an update on what I get out of one round. Curious to see that myself, fiskars is gona get a workout.

Reactions: Realstone
Yea those trailer loads are a bit bigger than most of us can haul!

yes I am fortunate to have such a great neighbor, took me three hours on the skidloader to haul the two loads back from the road to where I process and its not very far. I will be splitting that all summer.

Two trailer loads, really? Can I borrow your buddy & his "little" wood hauler for a week?==c

That's an awesome score, great job! BTW, once you're done splitting that by hand you might be able to make a little coin arm wrestling. A C

Ya i might have to use his splitter too, but since I dont have a physical job anymore I love to come home and split by hand. And since this is designated to be burned 2-3 years out im not too worried about getting it done asap.

added one more load from the oak I took out. Just the bottom of the stump below where it snapped off fille my truck up. Had one small dogwood trunk that the owner asked me to cut since it had died but other than that one small log this whole load came from the stump. Add that to the two semi loads I already took and I have a lot of splitting to do.

Attachments

• oakstump.jpg
    oakstump.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 136
Reactions: Realstone
That's one big block of oak. A bit of a challenge wrangling it on to the truck?

Yeah had to half it twice with the saw to get it in there. Couldn't beliveve how heavy that stuff was. The earlier loads I used the skidloader for and it was all that thing had to lift a four foot section of trunk without the back end coming off the ground. Pin oak is heavy.

Damn man, what'd that truck ever do to You! _g

Reactions: swagler85
I really do need a bigger truck, my problem is I can be an overachiever and just keep loading it up. Would love to buy a bigger truck but this one is paid for and will probably drive it till she quits. Got just shy of 225,000 on it now.

Nice about like the maples I'm still splitting, if that is pin oak get a power spitter all those little knots in Pin Oak put it in the same splitting class as gum and elm. But you right it is heavy, the old man made me split mountains of the stuff with a sledge and wedge as a teenager, never got in trouble though;)

Thats an awesome scrounge, the smaller pieces look like fun to cut and split, the big ones not so much.

That's down right cheating with all of that big fancy equipment.

Great Job!

KC

Status
Not open for further replies.