My Recent Scrounging

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KDubU

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2022
Maine
Since the bad snow/ice storm we had about a week ago, a lot trees and branches came down. I asked on Nextdoor about anyone wanting to get rid of theirs and I received too many responses. So far I was able to pickup two trailer loads of hard maple and red oak:

Also have a number of more people to get to let alone all the stuff lying on the side of quiet roads.

90D157FC-F2D7-4AB6-A143-13FF9F5D0CF4.jpeg

Since the bad snow/ice storm we had about a week ago, a lot trees and branches came down. I asked on Nextdoor about anyone wanting to get rid of theirs and I received too many responses. So far I was able to pickup two trailer loads of hard maple and red oak:

Also have a number of more people to get to let alone all the stuff lying on the side of quiet roads.

View attachment 309170

49483E69-F3B1-4270-AE46-B699E565DD33.jpeg

This oak is free in a guy’s backyard. I’m going with several branches and wood pieces to put under it in many spots to cut it up. I wonder how many cords there. I think maybe 4 or 5.

View attachment 309170
How do you haul some of those huge pieces?

I have twice as much now. Mostly red oak with some hard maple. There are so many people asking for me to come cut and pickup that I am way behind. Hope I can get a couple more pickups done this week and sometime I have to start splitting.

Going to pickup some apple wood from someone local. Should get a decent amount out of the tree as it’s a big one that has seen better days. Wish I could get more apple as it’s a nice wood to burn. Overall I need to “diversify” my scrounging as most is red oak and it will take a while to dry.

Also have plans for a timber framed firewood shed. I have access to some post and beams cut from pine at decent prices and the shed will be our front off to the side of the house and drive so want it to look neat. Plus planning an outdoor natural stone fire pit close by with a seating area. A lot to do but it will make use of an area of the driveway we don’t use.