Buying a House with Fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KyleWoods

Apr 10, 2018
Missouri
Hello folks, I'm a newbie here and I'm about to close on a house and it has a fireplace insert. I'm excited to start heating with wood and also a bit paranoid starting out. It's an insert and the chimney is ran through a wooden/vinyl sided chase.

With the picture attached, can you tell me anything about this insert? I don't know the make or model or anything just yet. Thank you for your time.

upload_2018-4-10_11-50-52.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. This looks like a Zero Clearance fireplace, not an insert, though some salespeople call it that. Not sure the brand, the picture is small. Here is a blow up that has been lightened for ID.
ZC-fireplace.jpg

I beleive it is a douvre stove. It is also not an insert it is a zero clearance stove the is no masonry fireplace there just framing with a prefab chimney inside it.

We work on a few of them. They are small but seem to be decent stoves. But getting parts for them is not easy.

So I will get the flue and fireplace inspected.. but it was put in when the house was built in 1996, is a 22 year old flue and fireplace something you all would be concerned with? I suppose it depends on the frequency of use..

So I will get the flue and fireplace inspected.. but it was put in when the house was built in 1996, is a 22 year old flue and fireplace something you all would be concerned with? I suppose it depends on the frequency of use..
Like you said it totalky depends on the useage

So I will get the flue and fireplace inspected.
That should provide a safety check, a cleaning if needed, peace of mind and a frame of reference for your future burning.