Confusion on replacing heatform doors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ms-kr

Feb 8, 2024
Canada
Bear with me, I'm a fireplace newbie and I'm pretty sure it's about to show.

My new home purchase came with a big brick fireplace with a heatform insert. The doors and metal surrounding piece is pretty scuffed, and the screen chain things are jammed/wrecked/and downright disgusting, so I'd like to replace just the door/screen part without breaking the bank. (its a fragile bank..I'm hoping a couple hundred $ tops).

Online shopping led me to realize I either need a prefab door, or a masonry door. I'm confused because, correct me if I'm wrong here, I have a prefab insert inside a masonry fireplace, right? So which style doors do I need?

Furthermore, how are the doors even supposed to work? Should you keep them open or closed during a fire? 20240208_143026.jpg20240208_143105.jpg

Bear with me, I'm a fireplace newbie and I'm pretty sure it's about to show.

My new home purchase came with a big brick fireplace with a heatform insert. The doors and metal surrounding piece is pretty scuffed, and the screen chain things are jammed/wrecked/and downright disgusting, so I'd like to replace just the door/screen part without breaking the bank. (its a fragile bank..I'm hoping a couple hundred $ tops).

Online shopping led me to realize I either need a prefab door, or a masonry door. I'm confused because, correct me if I'm wrong here, I have a prefab insert inside a masonry fireplace, right? So which style doors do I need?

Furthermore, how are the doors even supposed to work? Should you keep them open or closed during a fire? View attachment 324542View attachment 324543
You will get doors for a masonry fireplace. You have a full masonry structure with a heat form firebox. And doors are typically left open

You will get doors for a masonry fireplace. You have a full masonry structure with a heat form firebox. And doors are typically left open
Perfect! Thats what I was hoping to hear, since I may have already ordered a masonry set before I knew there was a difference. Does it matter that the doors currently on have little vents along the bottom and the one I ordered doesn't?