Buying pellets at Lowes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caribfan

Feb 4, 2012
Southern Maine
I can't find the thread now but a big THANKS to whoever posted the original idea. I bought 2 Lowes coupons - "$10 off a $50 purchase" - on Ebay last night for $0.99. The seller sent me the coupon codes within minutes and I Jumped on the Lowes website, selected my local store, and made 2 transactions each for 10 bags of Green Team. The total came to $44.90 after the $10 discount making the price/ton 224.50. I have been wanting to try a little higher end pellet because MWP haven't been very good for me this year, but couldn't justify the price The 20% discount makes it a little easier to justify. I didn't get their "low end pellets" but if anyone is interested in those, I think I figured the price to be about $3.77/bag. There is a disclaimer that these coupons can only be used online and the expiration date was very short - Nov22 I think, but it seemed like a good deal to me.

Thanks again to whoever posted this originally.

Reactions: newbieinCT
Green Team...higher end??? Not according to most on this forum. Most feel that they're a shoulder pellet. My experience was the heat was good but the ash was alot more than I was use to. Then again I was use to burning Spruce Pointe and Eagle Valley.

$225 is an ok price for them...I got mine for $197 two years ago.

SHOULD OF SHOPPED AROUND MY FRIEND

I remember when GTs at my lowes was 197/ton without any coupons. They are 245 this year. I balked when I saw that considering I can get barefoot for 250.

I know they aren't "high end" but they certainly can't be any worse than what I am burning now. I have been really disappointed this year with MWP. Last year they burned much better for me and I can get them for $173/ton. But this year I am trying to see how long we can go without turning on the oil so the stove is running 24/7 and they have beenvery dirty so far. I figured I'd try something different to see if there is a big difference. I have a pellet house 1 mile away but can't justify paying $280-$320/ton for Canawick, Trebios, spruce points, Lacretes,Vermonts or Cubex when I can get MWP for $100/ton less. The local hardware stores are $5-$6/bag for Maines Choice or Hearthside and the Blue Seal Feed is $6/bag for Ambiance All the local big box stores have to offer is MWP:, Geneva, Green Supreme Green Team, and Penningtons - no FSU or Stove Chow. TSC has there own branded pellets but it sounds like they are either rebagged MWP or possibly rebagged Geneva. I did see the local Paris Farmers Union had an ad for $224/ton but I have not had a chance to venture in that direction.

How's that for homework:)

So those are the local options I am aware of. I was just trying to find a decent middle of the road pellet, without paying crazy prices and GT seemed to burn OK for may people on this forum. If anyone has anything I missed around the greater Portland ME area, I'm listening

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 275
Link no workie no more. Darn!!!!!!!!

I remember when GTs at my lowes was 197/ton without any coupons. They are 245 this year. I balked when I saw that considering I can get barefoot for 250.
I wish Barefoot here is 294 a ton. My opinion Barefoot is very good this year burning hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.