Buying plastic pallets ? Is that a good deal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
Hi , found this on a craigslist:
I'm kind of tired of playing with wooden pallets. I know, it's free, but every year I have to go trough some of them and replace it since it rots, breaks, disintegrates etc.
Do you think its a good deal?

I've though about plastic pallets, but I get an unlimited amount of wood pallets from work, good ones to since we ship our transformers on them, I get about 2 years out of a pallet before its time to replace it out, from there it goes right to the burn pit in the side yard, only draw back is the nails left over, but it works for me.

I've though about plastic pallets, but I get an unlimited amount of wood pallets from work, good ones to since we ship our transformers on them, I get about 2 years out of a pallet before its time to replace it out, from there it goes right to the burn pit in the side yard, only draw back is the nails left over, but it works for me.
I’m getting wooden pallets for free as well , but it’s random sizes and quality . After couple years I accumulated a lot that have to be thrown out. Tired of sorting trough it as well

I would keep looking . the ones you show look weak to me. I lucked out and got about 10 heavy duty one for free. Also I met another wood burner how gets his very heavy duty one for free too. Let me see if I can now find my pictures.

Not a horrible deal, but as noted the nesting pallets are not the same as the black pallets that companies like UPS use.

Reactions: Lakeside
Not a horrible deal, but as noted the nesting pallets are not the same as the black pallets that companies like UPS use.
I know , but the black ones usually go for 10$ around here , and heavy duty for $ 15. Kinda a lot .

I know , but the black ones usually go for 10$ around here , and heavy duty for $ 15. Kinda a lot .
The nesting pallets might not be a bad deal since a pallet of wood is much lighter than a pallet of sand, machinery, etc. that usually comes on the black pallets. When I worked in a parts warehouse we would get all kinds of pallets in and out of the dock, but never saw any of the blue nesting pallets. Seems like they might be better for a homeowner with the easier storage.

The nesting pallets might not be a bad deal since a pallet of wood is much lighter than a pallet of sand, machinery, etc. that usually comes on the black pallets. When I worked in a parts warehouse we would get all kinds of pallets in and out of the dock, but never saw any of the blue nesting pallets. Seems like they might be better for a homeowner with the easier storage.
Looks exactas like these pallets
Rated at 3300lb static floor capacity and 660 lb uniform fork dynamic capacity . Whatever that means .

I have some that are similar but they are black. I would get them. They are gunna b stronger than wood pallets and they will last forever. I stack 4 or five feet high oak and hickory and it hasn't phased them.

If you were closer I'd split some of the cost. Do you know any other wood burners that are local and would be willing to do the same?

I have some that are similar but they are black. I would get them. They are gunna b stronger than wood pallets and they will last forever. I stack 4 or five feet high oak and hickory and it hasn't phased them.
Thank you for your input, I got them and they seem strong enough. Was able to get them in one trip on my trailer, thanks for nesting ability.

Attachments

• 8E2A68F1-40B8-491C-A8BC-78CF76D6AA8E.jpeg
    8E2A68F1-40B8-491C-A8BC-78CF76D6AA8E.jpeg
    336.6 KB · Views: 242
If you were closer I'd split some of the cost. Do you know any other wood burners that are local and would be willing to do the same?
I have 6 double stuck runs, 25’ each. So will need around 45 to replace wooden pallets eventually. Wondering if I should cover them with tarp while stored?

I might only because of the sun degrading most all plastics.

Reactions: Dmitry
Thank you for your input, I got them and they seem strong enough. Was able to get them in one trip on my trailer, thanks for nesting ability.
That's a really nice looking yard there, with some lovely trees :)

Reactions: Dmitry