Buying wood while I wait

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LYHTSPD

Apr 7, 2011
SW Indiana
Well, this was my first year of c/s/s and I ended up with about 4 cords from the rounds that I got from my neighbor. I figured out that last season I went through about 1.5 cords, and it was a pretty warm winter. I should be good for next year, if not two years with what I processed this summer. Unfortunatly, I have to purchase wood again for this season while I wait for all that to dry out.

I contacted a local guy who lives on ~25 acres of almost nothing but locust trees. He said that he has sold over 700 cords of locust over the past 15 years. He is going to deliver 1 cord of locust, 1 cord of mixed hardwoods (oak, maple, elm, etc) to my house and stack it for $160. Considering this guy lives about 35 minutes away, I thought that was a great deal, considering last year I paid $150 for less than 2 cords of mixed wood and I had to go get it myself. (2 cords of locust delivered and stacked would have been $180)

Here's to hopefully buying wood for the last time!

Is that two cords for 160, or 160 each? Two cords for 160, I would never touch a chainsaw again.

Well, this was my first year of c/s/s and I ended up with about 4 cords from the rounds that I got from my neighbor. I figured out that last season I went through about 1.5 cords, and it was a pretty warm winter. I should be good for next year, if not two years with what I processed this summer. Unfortunatly, I have to purchase wood again for this season while I wait for all that to dry out.

I contacted a local guy who lives on ~25 acres of almost nothing but locust trees. He said that he has sold over 700 cords of locust over the past 15 years. He is going to deliver 1 cord of locust, 1 cord of mixed hardwoods (oak, maple, elm, etc) to my house and stack it for $160. Considering this guy lives about 35 minutes away, I thought that was a great deal, considering last year I paid $150 for less than 2 cords of mixed wood and I had to go get it myself. (2 cords of locust delivered and stacked would have been $180)

Sounds like a deal. Are you going to split a couple while he delivers and check the moisture level?

Hate to buy it and then find out you can't use it until next year.

Two cords for $160 cut to the length I need, split, delivered and stacked. The black locust would have been $180 for two cords. Mixed hardwood would have been $140 for two cords. I took one of each, and it will be $160.

Sounds like a deal. Are you going to split a couple while he delivers and check the moisture level?

Hate to buy it and then find out you can't use it until next year.

I probably would if I had a moisture meter.

2 cords of locust stacked for 180.00 I might just take that!

Reactions: ScotO
Great price for delivered, dry, CSS'd fire wood.
Almost to good to be true.
Couldn't get a cord of birch for that here & it wouldn't be dry or stacked.
Hope it's dry enough to burn well for this burn season ;)

yes very cheap, around here you are looking at $200-$300 for a cord of hardwood and not stacked.

Reactions: jeff_t
great deal on some great wood......I'd probably buy a double order at that price, if I were you and the funds allowed it.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Is that two cords for 160, or 160 each? Two cords for 160, I would never touch a chainsaw again.
Heck , at 160 for one cord ,I'd be tempted .Well, not really ,I've got more saws to justify . :) But , that's an outstanding price !

Reactions: ScotO

Good luck and yes, that is a great price!

My concern is the mixed hardwoods. For sure that oak will be no better and probably worse than what you have already! Perhaps the maple also will not be ready to burn but maybe none of it will.

I would definitely find out when the wood was cut. When was it split? How was the wood kept after being split? But you will probably find the wood will be split just before delivery which means, you have not gained anything except to lighten your purse. But, you got a good deal. Just not good wood that you need to burn now.

Be sure before buying. Words are cheap when trying to bargain and that is why you really need to know what questions to ask. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.