1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Buying woodstove, need advice

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by d1ms, Nov 23, 2012.

1. d1ms

d1ms New Member

Here is images of fireview woodstove I might buy tomorrow does anybody sees cracks or visible problems? It all looks too dirty for me )))

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. mfglickman

mfglickman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW CT
    Did you get any pics with the top up? So you cAn see the baffle, bypass, and cat assembly? Also the glass...if I were selling I'd for sure clean the glass! :)

In the 2nd and 3rd pics the baffle and cat look shot - but since I have a different fv I'd defer to others for opinions. My stove was 20 years old and I rebuilt with new baffle, cat and cat assembly, for about $200.
  3. rijim

rijim Member

Loc:
    RI
    How about at the column when the vacuum and broom are? What is above this area?
    Don't want to burst your bubble, but, with efficient stoves there will be no wood smell outside and inside you may get a little roll out when loading but that is it.
  4. d1ms

d1ms New Member

This is interesting, this column has pipes from gas space heaters to the roof. See pic #1 - above this column is attic and chimney pipe.
    If it would be possible to connect to it i'd save a lot on chimney. Not sure if anybody did this though.

Column installation would be good in terms of "place heater in the center of the room" plus it would ideal if it would be possible to attach to existing chimney. Downside is what it is right in the middle of the room and existing the traffic.

If woodstove exists with very little back clearance...

Attached Files:

5. rijim

rijim Member

Loc:
    RI
    Existing chimney is no good, you will need new/separate class A; just looking at central location as a good spot.
  6. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    id put the stve on that wall with the junk and the high square picture. If I was you I would make my own hearth as those prefab pads are super high, also I would look for a used stove. And if money was my concern I would get an Englander 30 or something from vogelzang.
  7. Dakotas Dad

Dakotas Dad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Kentucky
    Please use a large caliber and make it quick..

That's almost to the penny what we spent brfore the stove instal. Heat pump in a fairly moderate climate, pretty well insulated, open floor plan, '96 construction.. Our payback is still a couple years out.. $$$ wise, but the mental payback was a long time ago.