buzzing from the stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quickrch

Hearth Supporter
Mar 28, 2009
Northern, VA
I have had my Avalon Astoria running since Sunday. We have been running it on the higher settings and it has the normal sounds. However, there is also this buzzing/humming sound coming from the inside that I can't seem to trace it source. It is constant and not the auger sound.
• At first I thought it was the convection fan. When I push on it much of the buzzing went away. I checked all the screws and they are tight. I put a piece of aluminum tape on that fan and it muffled the buzz. If I turn the fan down to the lowest setting the buzzing stops but just one notch up and it begins again after a few minutes.
• Then I checked the exhaust fan just by touching it while it was running but that didn’t affect the sound.
• It almost sounds electrical and not motion related but like I said above pushing on the convection fan seemed to make a difference.
It is tough to get back there now that it is installed and I don't really like poking around in the stove when it is running and when it is off there is not any annoying sound coming from it.
Does anyone have any troubleshooting suggestions?

Is this a new installation? I started a thread (Rattle Rattle Buzz...) about noise in My Castile and trying to quiet it. It may give you some ideas, if it isn't just the fan.

My experience is only with the Castile, and the noise comes from the removable plates and plenums within the firebox, which are only fitted as tabs-into-slots. The several fans in the unit cause vibration that makes them shiver in their connecting places. I use aluminum foil as wedges to tighten the fit of these parts, and it quiets the stove down for me somewhat. YMMV.

Good luck.

Thanks Gook. I read the other thread and will poke around and see if I can find a way to dampen the resonating. That sounds like a good hypothesis because I put a piece of aluminum tape on one joint and the hum greatly reduced. so, may just more tape...oh no...I have said that before and it never ends well.

Off topic.I saw in your post that Southern States is unbranded hamers. Is that true? If so, I'll be down there picking up a few bags. I am using Penningtons and somehow I got some from 2 different batches. One batch is better but I really want to try the hamers. Let me know on that and I'll see about firming things up some.

Status
Not open for further replies.