Bwahahahahahahaha more on the way!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
NH_Wood said:
I hear ya! I'm going to ask my neighbor to bring down the tractor today and knock back my snow banks. I've been using my new plow for the ATV - works great, but the banks are getting very high and creeping into the driveway. I used a snowblower mount for my lawn tractor in years past, which cast the snow as good 20' - never had to worry about banks then - but the plow is SO much easier to use. I think we have close to 2' on the ground now, and doesn't look like it's going to melt anytime soon! Cheers!

I usually have to do that too. I'm not complaining though. I like having the snow finally.
ATV will only push so much. I try to move it back far enough, but end up with neighbor's skidsteer
making more room once or twice thru the winter.

PapaDave said:
SolarAndWood said:
EatenByLimestone said:
Dog turds are buried... :lol:

But when it melts in April and the sun comes out...

NOT looking forward to the springtime "poop patrol".

"Deal with that enough days of every year and you will be building a shed right outside your door."
Yep, did that last spring, and it's probably one of the best things I've done in a while.
Still trying to figure out how to make it magically find it's way into the house.

POOP Patrol HA HA LOL :)
I swear, the whole state of Alaska in the 1st week of April smell like dog sh**T. Vacation time.

Heem said:
Picture this if you will..

I've got 3 feet of snow on the ground.

My good, burnable wood.. is stacked 3 feet high, 200 feet or so from the house.

I have a narrow trail that is 1 foot of solid packed snow. then I actually have to get on my knees and DIG down to get the firewood. Only way to get it back to the house is on a kids plastic sled towed behind me.

I feel like I'm on an archeological dig, revealing the ancient fuel source of a previous era.

I'm almost exactly the same as you, except my stacks are up an incline. I'm actually happy when there's some snow on the ground because it's so much easier to bring wood down with the sled. My only problem is getting out of the way as it slides so I don't end up face down in the snow with tracks over my back.

I do also have an attached, enclosed woodshed at the back of the house where I keep the stuff that's ready to burn, but some of the wood I need for this winter isn't really ready yet, so I left it out on the stacks to keep seasoning, which it's doing very nicely-- at least the stuff that's still above the snow line. What's buried under there I don't think is managing to dry out very much...

EatenByLimestone said:
The white stuff just isn't melting this year! I had to knock back my banks because the snowblower is almost at it's highest setting trying to push it over my banks.

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/44753/next-weeks-snowstorm-is-a-big.asp

Matt

Wahhhhh! Boy, we had almost no snow here until just after Christmas, and it's been just pouring down since then. A big storm every couple weeks, but then 4 to 6 inches ever three or four days in between really big dumps.

gyrfalcon said:
Heem said:
Picture this if you will..

I've got 3 feet of snow on the ground.

My good, burnable wood.. is stacked 3 feet high, 200 feet or so from the house.

I have a narrow trail that is 1 foot of solid packed snow. then I actually have to get on my knees and DIG down to get the firewood. Only way to get it back to the house is on a kids plastic sled towed behind me.

I feel like I'm on an archeological dig, revealing the ancient fuel source of a previous era.

I'm almost exactly the same as you, except my stacks are up an incline. I'm actually happy when there's some snow on the ground because it's so much easier to bring wood down with the sled. My only problem is getting out of the way as it slides so I don't end up face down in the snow with tracks over my back.

I do also have an attached, enclosed woodshed at the back of the house where I keep the stuff that's ready to burn, but some of the wood I need for this winter isn't really ready yet, so I left it out on the stacks to keep seasoning, which it's doing very nicely-- at least the stuff that's still above the snow line. What's buried under there I don't think is managing to dry out very much...

Yes, I learned this year that I need to burn the wood furthest from the house first and save the stuff right behind the house for when there's snow on the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.