By By ash pan you are history !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pallet Pete

Today I went to Alro Steel and bought a piece of quarter inch cold rolled steel. I welded it to the inside of my grate because I am sick of the ash pan it drives me nuts. it is worthless ! it worked fantastic and my stove is running even better than when it had the grate open.

Pete

Attachments

• IMG_20121103_145528.jpg
    IMG_20121103_145528.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20121103_145536.jpg
    IMG_20121103_145536.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20121103_145543.jpg
    IMG_20121103_145543.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_20121103_145550.jpg
    IMG_20121103_145550.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20121103_155011.jpg
    IMG_20121103_155011.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 105
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Nice "mod"
Curious if it will warp over time.
Simple fix ;)

Thanks Dave I am curious too only one way to find out.

Pete
If that grate was open to the ash bin it may have created some turbulence issues as my CDW did. All I know is it ran much better if I left the ash bin full and it didn't hurt the stove at all.. Good luck!

Ray

Hi Pete, I don't know if the lip is turned up or down installed or if its deep enough to maby put fire brick as a liner in it. Just a thought from viewing your pics, Nice looking conversion

Reactions: raybonz
Hi Pete, I don't know if the lip is turned up or down installed or if its deep enough to maby put fire brick as a liner in it. Just a thought from viewing your pics, Nice looking conversion

The lip goes down. I did consider brick and am still thinking about it but I want to see how this does first. I can actually put a steel plate in the bottom of the grate opening and seal it then put brick over it but I am lazy this was easier ;lol.

Pete

Good idea Todd and welcome to the forum BTW!

Ray

I can say it runs way way better without the grate open as of right now. The current heat output is incredible ;ex:ZZZ

Pete

I can say it runs way way better without the grate open as of right now. The current heat output is incredible ;ex:ZZZ

Pete
Sounds like my old CDW Pete! I always left the ash bin full and the stove ran much better.. My only guess is it caused an air turbulence problem. Glad to hear it worked for you!

Ray

Reactions: Pallet Pete
It is like controlling a gas fireplace now I have never seen anything with this good of air control. I should have done this from day one. Turn air up fire goes up turn air down tubes go fire slows to a tiny little crawl and the box gets nice and warm.

Pete

My old stove had a large ash pan and grate. The second year I let the pan fill up and those ashes were in it 21 years later when I pulled the stove out to replace it.

My old stove had a large ash pan and grate. The second year I let the pan fill up and those ashes were in it 21 years later when I pulled the stove out to replace it.
If my memory serves me correct BB, your a ash pan microwave'r also :) Wish I had one to try out !

If my memory serves me correct BB, your a ash pan microwave'r also :) Wish I had one to try out !

Yeah when a storm is coming I cook up stuff and put it in the freezer. Then use the ash pan to warm it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.