C/L Dreamers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TreePapa

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2008
Southern Calif.
I just had to share this. The Title of this ad is "Furniture Maker's DREAM wood" ... it's the poster who's dreaming:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/mat/1440969650.html

They want $600 for green pine rounds, cut to firewood length. There is nothing left in lumber length, yet they think someone would pay $50 / round to use for furniture.

I've seen a lot of stupid or greedy ads on C/L, but this one is one of the greediest.

body of ad in case they come to their senses and pull it (or it gets flagged as abusive):
We just cut down the giant 50 years old pine tree. There are many ( about 15 ) large pieces of wood ideal for making unique tables, chairs, stools, clocks or other artistic designs. The sizes vary, up to the largest diameter of 38 inches. They are a lot of 32 inch pieces. There are also many smaller pieces that can be used for firewood.

You can buy them individually for $50.00 or you can buy them ALL for $600.00

This tree was in great shape, but we needed to cut it because it was TOO big and the roots were damaging our driveway. Don't miss this chance. Not many huge trees are cut down each year.

First come, first served. Please contact us soon. it won't last long.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

I'm not gonna repost their pics ... it's just green pine rounds after all.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Yes, they are living in a dream world. Maybe next week they will be begging someone to come and take it out of their yard.

38 inches is a giant pine? And, from what it looks like, they are counting the crotch piece to get 38 inches?

The "free" pine I scrounged last Feb. was 28 to 30 inches ... but the homeowners told me that those were the lower branches, not the trunk! The tree service took the trunk, which the homeowners said was roungly the diameter of a volkswagon (I'm not sure, but I think they were referring to the length of the VW as the diameter of the tree).

Peace,
- Sequoia

(I put free in quotes 'cuz I wound up (1) paying a day laborer to help me load and unload the wood, and (2) renting a splitter).

Is 38"really considered "giant" in southern california?

what a joke LMAO!

Car salesman who spent a week this Summer smoking medicinal herb with some artists in Big Sur.

polaris said:
Is 38"really considered "giant" in southern california?

Ya, and it is already 50 years old!! Wow! I'd hate to tell these folks, but 50 years is not old for a tree.

50 yr old, 38" diameter is a good sized tree, but not an unusually large or old pine. My mother's old house has a stand of a ahlf dozen pines near the house that are easily that size and age. There's also a European Beech there thats well over 100 years old and is a solid 60" diameter at the base, probably 60-75' tall.

I agree, dreaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.