Cab-50 Wet Sludge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gripper93

Oct 1, 2009
central ohio
My stove is installed on the lower level of our home and is sitting on concrete. I have a connecter then a tee and then vertically 4' to a 90 then it runs outside with a cap, all 3". I ran the stove in normal operation and when it warmed up outside I shut it down. I did not clean the firepot or any other part of the stove right away. It has been about 5 days now and when I went to clean it, the fire pot and inside was damp. It turned the ash to a messy sludge. It has been raining heavy here for the last 2 days. Is this from condensation or should I be concerned with something else? I have also fired it back up with no problems. Thanks in advance for any info!

Mine is vented straight out. If I don't block it off and put the damp away stuff in over summer it gets rust spots from condensation.

I've never had messy sludge but have had that damp feeling ash.

Since you did not pull the cleaning rod before not running the stove for 5 days,not much of a surprise that with all the damp air coming in,that whatever was still in the firepot would get damp......Since it restarted with no issues,wouldnt worry about it too much,but pull the rod after stove cool down {manual for our PS50 says daily} and should be fine......also,good idea to plug all holes and get some type of dessicant{we use damp rid} to put inside stove {we put a container in the empty hopper too} during the non heating season......

Had the same issue here with my stove. Temps back to being seasonal outside and everything seems back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.