Caddy or Hotblast 1950 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adirondackpaddler

Aug 27, 2008
Northern, NY
Hello!

I live near the adirondacks in Northern, NY and I heat 2900 sq ft with an oil-fired boiler. B/c of the rising cost of oil, I've decided to install a wood furnace. Based on location - I have access to the USstove Clayton (1600m?) and the USstove (1950) or the PSG Caddy.

In fact, I looked at a Caddy add-on last night. Its identical (save for teh color) to the 1950.

I have a number of questions:
Does anyone have any experience with these (EPA) stoves? In real life, how much more efficient are these stoves (EPA approved 1950 and Caddy) compared to conventional stoves (like the clayton)? Why do the EPA stoves have smaller grates and smaller ash drawer - Do they produce less ash? Would the larger conventional clayton model have a longer burn time (overnight burns)? How many cord of wood would I expect to use in a typical heating season (old construction)?

Thanks for the help.
AP

adirondackpaddler said:
Hello!

I live near the adirondacks in Northern, NY and I heat 2900 sq ft with an oil-fired boiler. B/c of the rising cost of oil, I've decided to install a wood furnace. Based on location - I have access to the USstove Clayton (1600m?) and the USstove (1950) or the PSG Caddy.

In fact, I looked at a Caddy add-on last night. Its identical (save for teh color) to the 1950.

I have a number of questions:
Does anyone have any experience with these (EPA) stoves? In real life, how much more efficient are these stoves (EPA approved 1950 and Caddy) compared to conventional stoves (like the clayton)? Why do the EPA stoves have smaller grates and smaller ash drawer - Do they produce less ash? Would the larger conventional clayton model have a longer burn time (overnight burns)? How many cord of wood would I expect to use in a typical heating season (old construction)?

Thanks for the help.
AP
I have us stove furance and i am thinking 8 cords a year with mine,that 1950 model witch uses less wood 1/3 less wood i belive should put you in the 5-6 cord range

I burned about 7 cords with my older wood furnace from usstove. I could easily keep the overnight burns on it. I would expect for you to be in the 6 cord, maybe 7 with a loose old, uninsulated home. They are ran from a thermostat that when calls for heat, ramps the fire. But still you would burn less with an epa model, and produce more heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.